Chapter Eight

After work, I headed home for the night. I stepped out of my car, noticing Buddy sitting on his front porch, staring me down.

He made a finger-gun at me, smirking.

I just looked away, walking into my house.

As I sat down on my couch, my phone rang out. I answered it. "Hello?"

"Dani, this is Hector." He replied.

"Hey, Hector, what's up?" I asked.

He sighed. "I got what you asked for."

I stood quickly. "And?"

"Buddy Bruno, the founder of the Toxic Devils motorcycle club. The club's made up of ex-cons. They operate more like a gang."

"How many are there?" I asked.

"Twenty or so. They're some really bad people. Drug dealers, gun runners, murderers... I'll ask again, Dani, is something going on?" Hector asked.

I closed my eyes, letting out a little sigh. "Nothing yet... I just need you to trust me."

He was quiet for a second before answering. "Fine... But, if shit hits the fan, I had better be the first one to know about it. Understand?"

I nodded to myself. "I got it. Thanks, Hector."

"Don't mention it." Then, we said our goodbyes and hung up.

I sat back on the couch, biting my nail, my mind wandering. I absolutely underestimated Buddy. And he was definitely not the kind of guy I needed knowing my real identity. There's no telling what he'd do with the information. And, if any of it got back to the family, I'd be dead...

The next morning, I headed into work early. I needed to talk to Mickey.

He looked up from under the hood of some car as I walked in. "Hey, you're early. What's the occasion?"

I folded my arms over my chest. "I need to ask you a favor..."

He stood up, giving me a concerned look. "What is it?"

"First... I need you to promise you'll keep this between just us." I said.

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Dani, I-"

"Just, promise me..." I pleaded.

He sighed, looking like he wanted to protest, but decided against it. "Fine... Nothing leaves this shop. Now, what's going on?"

I tapped my foot. "I may have some trouble... Given the people you've worked with in the past, I was wondering if you knew anywhere I could get a gun... One that's not traceable."

"Dani, what kind of trouble is this?" Mickey asked.

I shook my head. "Nothing I can't handle... Now, do you or don't you?"

He rested his hands on his hips, looking down at the ground. "I do... Follow me."

I walked behind him as he led me to a back room in the shop.

He grabbed a set of keys from a drawer before unlocking a closet door, flipping a light on.

Inside sat a row of shotguns and pistols. "Holy shit, Mick, where'd you get these from?"

"Look, don't ask any questions, ok? Like I said, I gotta do whatever I can to keep the lights on." He replied.

I picked up a Mossberg .12 Gauge, pump shotgun. "This'll do great. How much you want?"

He pulled an old revolver from a shelf, throwing it in a duffel bag with a few boxes of ammo. "If it keeps you safe, nothing. Just... Don't get yourself killed. And, if anyone asks where you got these from-"

"Don't worry, Mick, I won't tell anyone." I promised.

He gave me a nod before handing me the bag. "Alright. Now, let's never talk about this again."

I nodded back, depositing the guns in the trunk of my car before heading back into the shop to get to work...

That night, I quickly grabbed the guns from the car and brought them inside, hoping no one would see me doing it. The last thing I needed was people asking questions.

I sat on my bed, loading the shotgun, giving it a pump before sliding it under my bed.

Then, I looked over the revolver. It was a Colt Python. .357 Magnum, nickel plated. 'So badass...' I thought, silently thanking Mickey for the hookup.

I set the revolver in the drawer on my nightstand, hiding the ammo in their as well.

Now, I felt a little more confident taking the fight to Buddy...

As the days turned to weeks, a few things happened. My relationship with Maria was growing. The progress on the Duster was coming along great. And, I even found myself growing closer to my neighbors. All except Buddy. The threats and the dirty looks continued. It wasn't hard to figure out what he was doing, he was looking for a fight. And I was damn well gonna give him one. It was just a matter of time...

Maria and I walked across the street to Roger and Doris's place. They invited everyone over for a cookout.

Maria and I baked some cookies for the event. She insisted on raisin cookies, even though I argued chocolate chip was the better choice. I found it hard saying no to her, though.

We knocked on their door and Doris answered.

"There you two are, we were worried you weren't going to show." Doris greeted.

"We wouldn't miss it." I said.

Maria handed her the plate of cookies. "Here, we baked these."

Doris took them with a smile. "You guys are sweethearts. C'mon in, everyone's out back."

Maria and I made our way into their backyard, seeing Roger and Chad arguing over the grill while Trudy played hide and seek with her daughter.

"It's my house, Chad. I'm perfectly capable of grilling." Roger said.

"I know you are, sir, I'm just trying to give you a chance to relax." Chad replied.

I laughed lightly as we grabbed a couple beers from a nearby cooler, taking seats on the patio furniture.

Doris joined us, setting our cookies and a few other snacks on the glass table. "Here you are. The cookies taste great, you guys."

"Told you." Maria said, sticking her tongue out at me.

I laughed, taking a sip of my beer. "Wait 'til the kid sees you brought raisin instead of chocolate chip. You won't be laughing then."

She rolled her eyes, smiling.

Soon enough, the food was ready and everyone gathered around the table, digging in. Roger was one hell of a cook.

As we ate and chatted, I started to feel myself grow connected to the people around me. It was different then New York... But, I think it was better...