CHAPTER 9

The airlock doors open, and our astronauts cautiously step forward, careful with every move they make.

Ariane: - Look at this, it's incredible!

Dr. Jonathan Smith: - What vegetation. It's beautiful. Dr. Williams, look at this!

Victor Ramirez: - It smells rather like death, yes!

Al Sanchez: - Well, for once, I absolutely agree with my fellow countryman.

The planet our astronauts have landed on is an enigmatic and fascinating place. The docks where the ships are stationed resemble huge laurel leaves, creating a unique first impression. Upon disembarking, they are greeted by a dark, misty atmosphere that gives this place an eerie aura. Lush vegetation is everywhere, sprawling, enveloping the docks with its exotic flora.

The dock itself is gigantic, but it stretches lengthwise, offering an infinite and intriguing perspective.

As our astronauts venture further, they are struck by the beauty of this planet, despite the surrounding darkness.

- Enough chatter. Everyone knows what they have to do, so let's get to work.

- Understood, Captain. Alpha team, follow me. The ships are this way.

Ariane leads the group towards a massive spaceport adorned with vegetation, where hundreds of ships are parked. The other group, on the other hand, approaches some sort of opening leading to a dark chamber.

Lara Washington: - "Damn! You can't see anything in there."

Sgt James Reynolds: - "Garcia, Johnson, scout ahead."

- Yes, Sergeant.

The two soldiers cautiously advance to the entrance of the room, peek inside, and enter with weapons at the ready. The place is so dimly lit that the two soldiers seem to have disappeared. But a few seconds later, a voice is heard.

- All clear, Sergeant! You can come in, no danger here.

Our team, with their portable lights on, enters this strange room one by one. As soon as they enter, a massive door closes behind them.

Meï Ling, who stayed at the controls of the Newton, loses visual and radio contact with the first team.

- Jackson, we've lost visuals and sound, what's happening? Jackson? Lara? This can't be happening! Please answer me! This is off to a great start.

Dr. Emilie Turing, sitting next to Meï, tries to reassure her.

- I'm still receiving their body scans; everything seems fine. Their heart rate is stable.

- It's probably the walls interfering with the signal.

- I hope so, Spider! I suspected as much anyway. Whenever we have a droid on board, trouble starts.

- Spider is probably right, Meï. Like I said, no issues to report. Anxiety levels and vital signs are normal.

- Meï. Meï. Can you hear me?

- Jackson, what happened? We've lost everything here.

- Don't worry, everything is fine. We just...

- Jackson, hello, Jackson!

- Well, if there are interruptions, don't...

- Jackson?!

Spider, using all of its limbs, works on keyboards and controls, trying to stabilize the communication.

- I think... We've lost the connection again.