CHAPTER 4 | crows nest & laps

Law's POV 

•••

It was late now, and the ship was getting ready to sleep. I volunteered to be on lookout, since I had slept in late, and surprisingly Luffy volunteered to watch with me. Sanji told me it was cold in the crows nest, and that I should bring a blanket with me, so I did.

***

"Traffy~" Lufffy whined.

"What do you want?" I grumbled at him, he had been doing this for hours.

"I'm boreddd"

"So you've said," Luffy crawled onto my lap and wrapped his arms around my neck.

"So, do something to entertain me, I'm falling asleep here!" I felt my ears go red, but it didn't matter because Luffy was already asleep in my arms. I let myself relax as I wrapped my arms around his body.

***

"Traffy?" I heard Luffy say quietly. I hummed in response. "I want to..." I heard the uncertainty in his voice so I started running a hand through his hair, and I think I saw him...

blush?

Luffy's POV 

•••

Law began running a hand through my hair, and I felt myself blush a bit. I don't know why I was blushing, but.. it felt really nice. 

"That feels... nice." I sheepishly admit, "I want to- I want to... get over Ace's-" I took a deep breathe. And Law stopped messing with my hair.

 "Hey, don't worry about it," He said quietly. "I know what you mean. But it's just, not that simple. You can't ever really, get over someone's death. Especially when it's someone you care so deeply for. And the way your brother... passed. Wasn't exactly... graceful either." 

I stiffened at his words. "I know that, I'm not stupid-" I paused when I saw Law smile. "what?"

"nothing." Law said

"DO YOU THINK IM STUPID???"

"oh no, not at all." Law answered sarcastically. 

"Whatever, meany." Law smiled again. I decided I liked when he smiled, even if he was being mean. "It's just- been two years since the war of the best, and I feel like- I should be able to at least talk about him now, you know?" I felt Law tighten his grip on me.

"I know, but you will be able to eventually. Tell you what, if it really means that much to you. Then you can tell me about him. And I'll listen to what you have to say until you decide you need to stop." He smiles at me slightly as he says this, and I can't help but smile back. I grab the blanket Law brought in previously, wrap it around us, and then I let sleep take me away once again, safe in the arms of my friend.

•••