f i v e

A M A Y A

A M A Y A

a year before his last rose

—  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  —  — 

It was a warm summer night ,but there was one particular man — frightened and  cold ,tired and angry.
His ears pulsed ,air pricked his lungs , his legs throbbed, but he didn't feel any of  it, for the adrenaline that coursed  through his body, gave him enough strength to continue pushing forward and sprint  into the alley, along its twists and turns, hoping the predator would give up and turn around.

What a wishful thinking it was really, for the predator was from an organization that was a trechorous ruler of the night —port mafia, whose members always returned with blood-stained hands.

Although he knew he would die, he could atleast manage to gain himself a day and hopefully come up with a plan for negotiation, right?After all ,the deal was made because the mafia deemed him to be necessary, and his necessity could arise again, could it not?

Only if the man understood that mafia was an expert at using people and deluding them into believing their position was of utmost importance only to have their ego and confidence shattered as they realised nothing in the world was now theirs, not even their life.

This man was to suffer the same fate, for hopefulness is a foolish virtue to hold when the blood curling eyes in the red moonlit night were set on you.

And so the man who was cursed with ill-luck was welcomed by  a dead end , its high mighty walls eerily laughing at him, as though it were also a part of the heinous organization.

Thud Thud Thud.

He heard behind him, causing the hopelessness and numbness to spread throughout his body as the adrenaline diminished along with the strength that was bestowed upon him during the flight mode.

"P-please sp-sp-spare me ! I beg of you. I have a f‐f-family please !" The man tried to besought which was a rather futile attempt to do so because when  you make a deal with the devil, your soul is no longer yours.

"Maybe then you shouldn't have gotten ahead of yourself." the soft yet dangerously calm voice echoed. The surroundings had become unnervingly cold, just like the girl with a demon graffiti mask.

She took a step ,then another, and then another, until she was kneeling on with one leg. Her face hovered over his, and she swiftly placed the knife on his neck whose blade shone bright red under the red moonlight. Her sharp cat shaped eyes held a  forbidding gaze as she pressed the knife, causing the blood to trickle down his neck and bleed onto the white shirt that his wife had so meticulously ironed for him.

The man whose black fearful eyes viewed the devils appritence suddenly had the scenery  change in front of him into something completely contrasting – bright, cloudless ,azure sky with  lemon green grass spread throughout the land. Not too far away were three people who he recognized instantly — his wife and two children. They were sitting on a beige colored cloth with a basket consisting of juicy fruits and flavorful dishes . Smiles were etched on their faces just like the sun, which was tranquil in providing warm glow to the children of Mother Earth.