First Sparks

The early morning light scattered through the skyscrapers. Bit by bit it crawled up the alley, revealing a deadly situation. Everything was moving slowly, yet I couldn't even breathe, let alone move from the hand gun's aim. The trigger was slowly pulled, the hammer picked itself up ready to strike and take me to my doom. Now! My eyes clenched shut, my body tensed as if my own muscles were trying to crush me. BANG the air bit at my skin and lifted every hair on my body. huh? I fell back.

Slowly I released the clamp on my eyes, expecting white fluffy clouds. Instead revealing a normal looking man with a bald head and a concerned look on his face. He had his arm round my back, supporting me to a forty five degree angle.

"Hey are you alright?" He asked. I quickly checked myself, moving my fingers and toes and taking a deep breath.

"Err yeah." I said as I slowly sat up with his help. "What happened? I was sure, I was ... Wait, you're not an angel are you?"

"Hehe." He chuckled. "Do I look like an angel?" Putting his free hand on his forehead looking down and smiling.

"Good point." I replied bluntly. His face opened in shock and offence then quickly screwed up, tears forming in his eyes.

"I know I just look so normal but when you tell me so bluntly it hurts you know." He sniffled. I sighed ohh he's one of those guys, just my luck.

"Here." I said handing him a tissue.

"Thanks." He sniffled again, regaining some of his composure.

"Oi ugly where did you come from!! ehhh you messing with us?!" The most stereotypical yankee's voice ever imaginable called out. I looked over to see the small fat villain Bel Colpo, his eyes darting around separately like a chameleon's.

"I'd rreeeeeaaaalllyy hate to break up this moost touching scene but that woman has a date that she can't miss and I've got money to earn so unless you..." His vulgar speech was cut short by a flash, erupting from my bald ally's hand. It lit its way down the alley, striking Bel in the chest. Without control of any part of his body, he slowly slid down the wall behind him and slumped in a puddle of his own pee.

"That'll shut him up for a while." Said the bald man as he stood up smiling. "My name is Sparks."

"Did you just?" I stuttered in disbelief. "He was my bounty!!!!"

"Eeeeeeehhhhhh!? but he was just about to kill you! there was a gun and..."

"I would've taken him if it wasn't for your unnecessary involvement." I cried out, standing up in anger.

"What?! how! tell me how genius!!" He shouted back flabbergasted.

"See this." I shouted whilst pulling out my handgun from its holster on my right leg. "And this is my hero badge." I pulled my badge from the top left pocket of my suit jacket and shoved it in his face.

"A hero badge?! You've got to be kidding me, did you make it yourself? And what's this name Burning Twin Barrels paathetic." He laughed. "What a backwards country I've come to."

I grimaced angrily at him. "Hang on a minute, you have a power so you should also have a badge." I smirked. "So let me see it, mister Sparks." I took a step closer concealing my anti-power handcuffs in my right hand.

"Well you see about that, I don't have such a lame hero badge, I just do what's right." He said defiantly.

"Ohh is that so?" I whipped the cuffs out and snapped them onto his wrists. He doesn't seem violent, so cuffing him round the front should be fine. I can catch him if he tries to run after all. "You'll be coming with me to Hero HQ then." I smirked, mocking him. His face immediately dropped and went pale.

"Wait, what, why?" He asked desperately as I called in backup.

"Under section 2.3.4 of the newly instated hero laws states that all persons with powers must be registered with Hero Headquarters and if that person isn't, she or he is to be taken to headquarters to be processed as any villain would."

"I just saved you, give me a break!" He cried out.

Back up soon arrived, and I started to drag the so-called Sparks out the alley to a police van that had just pulled up. When I was approached by one of the officers.

"Sorry mam but you can't put him in there." He said

"Why not?" I asked

"The police van is too full. Only Bel Colpo will fit." He explained

"What do you mean how can it be.." My sentence was cut short. I glanced through the small reinforced glass window of the police van, to see 15 criminals all chained up with their heads in their laps.

"Ahh. I see, I'll take this one then." I sighed "damn my luck." I mumbled. I turned to see Sparks mocking me with the widest smile possible.

"This way." I yanked him towards my car which was conveniently parked behind the police van.

"Wait you drive that pfffftttt." Sparks laughed, his face even more joyous and mocking than earlier.

"Shut up! It's perfect for me, small, easy to drive and fits anywhere, there's nothing wrong with a Smart Car."

"Pfffttt." He laughed.

I pulled out my gun and jammed it into his stomach. "You want to laugh more ehh!? Punk!?"

"Sorry, sorry I'll stop now." His face slowly calming down.

I shoved him into the car, trying to make it as uncomfortable as possible, and slammed the door shut, I then got into the car myself still cursing my luck.

"Haven't you forgotten something?" Asked Sparks arrogantly, that cocky, mocking smile peeled across his face again.

"What?!" I snapped, staring at him furiously.

He gestured with his head. "My seat belt madam Twin Burning Barrels." His smile continuing to test me.

I clenched my fists in anger, then relaxed, realising that I am still in control.

"Thanks for reminding me." I smiled. Reaching for the seat belt button, I set the passenger seat belt tightness to, small child and took one last glance at his now panicking face.

"Wait, what are you doing?" He asked, fear etched in his voice.

"Putting the seat belts on of course." I answered calmly, smiling at his misfortune and pressing the engage seat belts button. It made the most satisfying click I have ever heard.

We set off in golden silence, following the overfilled police van towards Hero HQ.