Chapter 11: Blissful Reunion

(850)

Before I knew it, a year had come and gone. I was a seasoned soldier with several Titan kills under my belt. With 50 kills and 30 assists, I was an up-and-coming soldier who was likely to become some kid's role model similar to how the commander and captain were for me.

Erwin: Today is the day the cadets of the 104th graduate and as such, we are required to make an appearance at the barracks. Levi, I want you and your squad to accompany me.

Levi: Got it.

Gunther: You excited Y/n? You'll get to see your old comrades again.

Y/n: Yeah, I suppose I will.

Eld: What's up with you? Did you leave on a bad note or something?

Y/n: No, it's just that I left some people behind who were close to me.

Petra: It won't be as bad as you think. My parents were afraid beyond belief that I'd kick the bucket my first time out. I hate the fact that they worry whenever we leave, but I do it for the sake of humanity.

Y/n: I don't have anyone to worry about me except for my friends.

Gunther: What are they like? You don't talk about them very much.

Y/n: Well, my brother Eren is the polar opposite of me. He's calm and levelheaded most of the time while I was the reckless hothead of the family. My friend Armin is probably the smartest person I know next to my dad. And Mikasa, well she's...different.

Oluo: Different how?

Y/n: She's always been really strong. Nothing ever gets to her, except when something happens to me. Then she'll fly off the handle.

Petra: That kind of loyalty is rare, especially among close friends.

Eld: Looks like she formed a strong emotional bond with you.

Y/n: Yeah, but that's just it. I don't know why.

Gunther: Man, you're dense.

Y/n: What makes you say that?

Gunther: That's something you'll have to figure out yourself. If I told you then it wouldn't mean anything.

Y/n: Fine, don't tell me. I'll figure it out eventually.

Erwin: Y/n, may I have a moment?

Y/n: Sure thing. What's up?

Erwin: Since you've been with us, you have consistently proven time and time again we can rely on you. With that in mind, I have a favor I want to ask of you.

Y/n: As long as it's within my power, I'll do what I can. 

Erwin: I want you to stay behind in Trost under my authority while the Scouts conduct a short expedition.

Y/n: What for?

Erwin: A gut feeling. We can't afford to keep putting our missions off and I'd feel at ease if one of my best soldiers was around to watch over the cadets. Can I count on you?

Y/n: Absolutely.

Erwin: Good. I'm placing a lot of trust in you.

Y/n: I would've thought after a year you'd already trust me a lot.

Erwin(chuckles): So you have a sense of humor after all. 

Y/n: Never said I didn't, I just never showed it.