Chapter Two

Caia's POV

"That's a cool name." I said shyly.

"Thanks! I think it's kind of boring. Anyways, what's your name?" He asked.

"I don't think it's boring. Mine is though. Caia Laurenson." I said.

"I like the name Caia. Do you spell it K-A-Y-A?"

"Thank you, I think it's boring though. No I spell it C-A-I-A."

"That's really cool! I've never met someone with your name." He smiled at me.

I smiled and thanked him again.

"What are your dreams?" He asked quietly.

"Oh boy. The list could go around the world twice," I chuckled, "I want to travel the world someday. I've never been outside of this small town. Someday, I want to buy a one way ticket around the world and never look back. I want to fly in a plane and see the clouds from a different angle. I want to run across an open field. I want to get lost in a big city and find new things. I want to explore every crevice of this earth. I want to take a ride out in the cold air. I want to feel the sun kiss me as I dive off of a cliff into the waters of oblivion. I want to live. Not just survive. Someday." I breathed out, looking at him.

He was looking at me, deep in thought.

There was a moment of silence before he spoke.

"Do you want to do something crazy?" He asked softly, but with excitement passing through his features.

'No.' I thought.

But my mouth had a mind of its own.

"Sure. Why not?" I choked out.

Immediately, he jumped up from the couch and grabbed my hand. I followed him outside the coffee shop.

"Wait! I need to lock up, hang on." I told him.

He waited patiently while I fumbled with the keys.

"Okay. Let's go." I smiled at him.

**************************************

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

It was almost 10 at night and my mum would be worried. I texted her to say I went out with some friends. She told me to be careful and to be quiet when I came back home because she'd probably be asleep. She told me that dad was out of town for a conference so I would need to take out the trash tomorrow morning. I agreed and turned my phone off.

"We are going to the beach." He replied simply.

"But that's a two hour drive away!" I exclaimed panic seeping through my voice.

'What if he's going there to kill me?' I shuddered at the thought

"Caia, learn to trust. I would never hurt you." He said seriously.

"Oh... I said that out loud didn't I?" I mentally face palmed.

"Yup." He smirked an continued to drive.

"But it's raining. I've always wanted to go someday but not in the rain!"

The car slowed down and he veered off to the side. He stalled the car and sat in silence for a minute.

"What?" I asked.

"You told me all your dreams in the coffee shop. But you always said 'Someday'. Do you ever think that your 'Someday' may be never? Babe, all you have is one day. We plan for tomorrow but we never know for sure if tomorrow will come. So take the chance in life and live the moments not the memories. Make every last thing count. Just... go for it." He finished.

"I'll give you some time to think." He said softly and started the car again.

"You're right." I said after a couple minutes. But he stopped me from saying more.

"That's all I needed to hear. You don't have to explain yourself to me. I hope what I said, will stick with you." He said. "There's a principle I stick to. 'Finish today like it's your last.' Maybe you can stick to that principle with me." He said hopefully.

"I think I will." I replied, a smile playing on my lips.

Two hours went by rather quickly. We drove in comfortable silence and listened to the rain slowly ease up. An unrecognizable song played softly through the speakers and filled the car with a happy tune.

By the time we got to the beach, the sky was clear. Stars were sprinkled across the sky and the moon looked like a pearl, its reflection hitting the waves.

Luke parked the car and rushed to my door, opening it for me. He took my hand and started walking to the hill. It was a warm night, despite the rain that ended an hour ago.

"Why are we walking up the hill?" I asked quietly.

"This is where I went right after my brother was killed. This is my special place. I wanted to share it with you." He smiled and kept on walking.

My short legs made it hard for me to keep up. He noticed my trouble keeping up and stopped abruptly in front of me. He bent down and looked back at me, waiting.

"Come on. I'll give you a piggy back ride." He said when I looked confused.

"Luke, I'm too heavy."

"Nonsense. You probably weigh lighter than a feather."

"Okay, well if I break your back I insist on paying the hospital bill." I giggled quietly before getting on.

"Done." He smiled.

"Hey Caia, put your hands out like an airplane. I'm going to try give you the closest thing to flying."

"I don't want to fall." Worry made its way into my voice.

"I've got you love. I'll never let you fall." He replied softly.

"Okay... Here I go!"

I spread my arms out and sat up straighter on his back. The wind blew my hair out of my face and it really felt like I was flying. I could see the top of the hill from his back because he was so tall. My big smile turned into a fit of giggles as he started going faster. I looked down at him and he was smiling as well.

"Luke I'm flying!" I said excitedly.

"You have always been able to fly. You just hadn't found your wings yet."