VIII

At breakfast the next morning, Asteria asked for a tray in her chambers.

The maids who came in to tidy the chambers could do nothing more than share a look.

She sat on one of the chairs next to her window dressed in light beige pants, a white button up and a light brown sweater vest. He hair was pulled into a high ponytail, messy but also elegant in a way. She wore no shoes, leaving a pair of white oxfords by the doors if she decided to leave the chambers.

Reyna came in with a maid holding a big tray in tow. 

The maid set the tray on the table in front of her and bowed her head, scurrying out of the chambers.

"Are you doing okay?" asked Reyna, hesitating by the doors.

"Oh, great," said Asteria, her eyes shining in the sunlight as she turned to face her. "What about you?"

Reyna bit her lip. "Prince Cassius has asked for your presence, what shall I tell him?"

Asteria shrugged, taking a sip of her coffee. "I don't particularly care, really. Just tell him that I wish to eat undisturbed."

"He won't like that," muttered Reyna, fixing her blonde hair in the mirror by the doors.

Asteria merely smiled. If she wasn't getting her way then she would drive him mad. Get a reaction out of him.

"Do you need anything?" 

"I need you to take a rest," said Asteria, stabbing the pancakes she asked for with her knife.

"Chocolate spread with pancakes?" said Reyna, raising her eyebrows.

"Come eat with me," said the new Princess, her eyes lighting up. "Come on, please."

Reyna shook her head firmly. "I'm not allowed to eat with any member of the nobles, let alone a Royal."

"Fuck them all, come on," urged Asteria, already walking to the buttons on her wall and pressing on the kitchen. 

"Lady Asteria?" called an old woman's voice, sounding kind.

"Hello, my dear, can you please send an extra cup, an extra plate and a set of cutlery, please?" said Asteria pleasantly.

"Of course, sweetheart. Are those for Reyna?"

"Yeah, what's your name, my Lady?" said Asteria, shooting Reyna a grin.

"Bancroft, dear," said the chef kindly.

"Pleasure, Bancroft. Will there be any trouble with Reyna eating with me?"

"None at all," said Bancroft. "Though is the Prince not waiting for an answer from her?"

"Send someone to tell him that I wish to eat in my chambers undisturbed. See you, lovely Bancroft."

"A few seconds, dear."

Asteria sauntered to her chair and sat, spreading more chocolate over her pancakes and putting some berries over it.

"We're so getting in trouble," muttered Reyna, plopping a strawberry into her mouth.

"Might as well enjoy it," said Asteria, swallowing a bite of her breakfasts.

Asteria eyed Reyna's uniform with wonder. It was not what she'd imagined the King's maids to be wearing. It was a long, black renaissance dress with short, wide, white sleeves and black oxfords on her feet.

A knock sounded on her doors and Asteria gestured at Reyna to remain seated. The Sentinel on the door awkwardly handed over a tray with more pancakes, and an empty plate, cup and cutlery.