XIV

When they emerged out of the maze, Asteria was a little more sober and Cassius was quiet.

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

He nodded. "Are you?"

"Yeah," she said quietly.

"Do you want to go back to the revel or . . . ?"

"Let's go back," she said, brushing off some leaves from her gown. "See what Lex is up to."

"As you wish," he mumbled, offering her his arm.

She took it and they entered.

"Cousin!" cheered Lex, the red glitter on his cheeks smudged, he broke them apart and threw his arms around their shoulders. "Princess! How are you doing? Did you finally make out? The tension was—"

"How much did you have to drink?" Cassius said, cutting him off swiftly.

"Never too much for a party," said Lex with a wide grin.

"I say you go to bed," said Cassius, beckoning a servant over. "Get him some water and something quick to eat."

"Bed so early?" gasped Lex, stumbling out of his cousin's grip. "No way!"

"Fine, suit yourself, just tone it down," said Cassius, his voice a warning.

"I don't want to go to bed," sneered Lex. "Nor do I want any of you around me. Fuck, I need someone to bed—"

"Lexington," hissed Zara, looking around them.

"It's not like I chose you," he told her, frowning. "And I know you don't like me."

"People don't know that, cousin, calm down," snapped Cassius. 

"Don't tell me what to do!" snarled Lex, his eyes blazing. "I just turned nineteen and I haven't made any single choice in my life more than my clothes and my haircut. Don't you dare—" he raised his index finger in Cassius's face, "don't you dare give me more orders. You got to choose your wife, Cass. You chose her. You chose something! Your father's still walking and talking, your mother didn't throw herself off her balcony because she didn't like to cry! Don't tell me what to do! DON'T—"

"Cousin," said Cassius firmly, grabbing his face. "You're making a scene, please stop. Fine, no orders, do whatever you want but people are watching. Father's wrath isn't pretty. My father is your father, too, remember? He loves you just—"

"Shh," said Lex, pressing his finger to his cousin's lips. "Turn around and fuck off."

"Lex?" said Asteria tentatively, stepping closer.

"Princess, take your husband and leave me alone," he said, shooting her a tired smile and grabbing a bottle from a nearby table.

"Cassius is leaving," she informed him, nodding. "He's leaving now, can I stay with you? Aren't we friends?"

"We're not friends," he spat, shaking his head. "Friends trust each other and you don't do that. We're not friends, Asteria. I want to be left alone. Zara, go. Cass, go. Asteria, go. Everyone, go! Go play the damn instrumental and call it a day!"

It was Walter who ended up taking Lex away for a walk to calm him down.

"My God," whispered Cassius, running a hand through his hair. 

"Does he always get like that when he's drunk?" asked Asteria, swallowing harshly.

Cassius shook his head. "Rarely. Only when he's been stressing out for a while. Usually he's silent when he's drunk. You'd think he was more sober than usual. He goes inside his head, it gets bad."