Chapter 13: The Battle of Trost Pt. 2

Titan's blood rained down from above as I sliced the nape of a 15 meter. My squad followed behind me, struggling to keep up with my speed. I was using the technique I created during BootCamp to maximize effectiveness while minimizing gas usage. By the time my squadmates caught up to me, I had already slain three Titans. With no Titans in the immediate area, I motioned for everyone to land on a nearby rooftop.

Eren(out of breath): Wow, I had no idea you were this good.

Armin: Your technique was flawless.

Y/n: I practiced every chance I got but as good as I am, I don't hold a candle to Captain Levi.

Thomas: What's he like?

Y/n: A hardass, a clean freak, he never smiles, and he has a strange way of drinking his tea.

Mina: Doesn't sound like the type of guy I'd like to be around.

Y/n: Once you spend some time with him, you begin to see what he's really like. He acts tough to motivate us. He's a great leader and I consider myself lucky to serve under him. I always looked up to him and Commander Erwin when I was younger. I still do, but now that I've fought alongside them, I've gained a new perspective on what it means to bear the wings of freedom on my back.

Just then, I noticed movement in my peripheral. There was a new group of Titans heading toward us.

Y/n: We've got incoming at ten o'clock.

Thomas: Hey guys, I bet I'll kill more Titans than you.

Mina: You wish.

Eren: You guys talk big, but you haven't killed a single Titan yet.

Mina: That's because the Sergeant keeps killing them all.

Y/n: This isn't a game you guys. Lives are on the line here.

Nack: It was just a joke to lighten the mood, sir.

Y/n: I understand that, but right now our focus needs to be on clearing out Trost as fast as possible while giving the civilians a chance to escape. You're all soldiers now which means you have a responsibility to put your lives on the line.

They all nodded silently and drew their swords. I waited for the Titans to get a bit closer before getting a running start and jumping off the roof. Rocketing forward, I took out two of them at once before sliding between the pillars of a clock tower. I hung on the side of a building to wait for my squad to catch up. Thomas shot past me while heading for a Titan walking on all fours. My eyes shot wide open when I realized what it was.

Y/n: THOMAS STOP, THAT'S AN ABNORMAL!!!

It was too late. Thomas was going too fast. The Titan leaped up and slammed against a building. When it looked at us, Thomas was between its lips with his torso hanging out. He mouthed something before being swallowed whole.

Eren: YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!

Still in shock, I watched Eren shoot past me with Mina, Nack, and Armin heading after him. I slammed my fist against the tower before following them as well. The wind roared past my ears as I pushed my gear to the limit, gathering as much speed as possible. I spotted a Titan going to grab Mina's ODM line. I went as fast as I could to save her but it was too late. The Titan grabbed her line and yanked on it, sending her careening into a wall fast with enough force to shatter her spine. As Mina's lifeless body fell to the street below, I slammed the Titan that killed her into a building before driving my blades through its eye sockets. I then speared its throat and felt my blade break through its nape. With one Titan down, I flew after my squad. While I was trying to catch up, I saw Nack's bloody torso on the ground, his eyes rolled back into his head.

Y/n(in mind): Dammit!

Up ahead I saw a Titan about to grab Eren, who was wounded on his leg, presumably from flying debris. Armin was wildly swinging his blade to fend the Titan off but it didn't seem to be working.

Y/n(in mind): No, not this time. I refuse to let another family member die at the hands of these demons.

I grit my teeth and with my bloodlust returning tenfold, I shot forward as fast as I could go. I reeled my swords back and went in for the kill. Before I could do it, I felt a searing pain in my right leg. I only had enough time to glance back before I crashed into a rooftop and slid several yards. The bearded Titan noticed me and walked over, likely smelling my now bleeding leg.

Eren: Y/N!!!

He pushed Armin away and tried to run over to me only to fall. He got up again and managed to reach me right as the Titan reached out.

Y/n: STAY BACK, THATS AN ORDER!!!

Eren: I'm not letting you die here!

He sliced a finger off only to be backhanded. He hit a brick chimney and blood began to trickle down his forehead. I tried to stand only to be met with searing pain as I fell again. Looking up, I saw the Titan reach over me and grab Eren before lifting him to its mouth and dropping him in. I shoved Armin away and used my only remaining blade as a crutch while I limped over to the Titan. I raised my blade and plunged it into the maw of teeth before it could fully close. Stepping onto a tooth, I saw Eren slowly sliding to the back of its throat unconscious. With the limited time I had, I reached into the Titan's mouth and pulled Eren out, throwing him back onto the roof.

He must've been jolted back into a conscious state because I saw his eyes open as I threw him through the air. He landed next to Armin covered in Titan saliva with a shocked expression. I pushed against the two walls of teeth with my arms and remaining leg as hard as I could, but I still felt the pressure increasing. Accepting my fate, I smiled weakly before the Titan closed its mouth, biting my arm off and sending me plummeting down its throat.

(3rd pov)

Armin and Eren sat back shocked as they watched Y/n's forearm get bitten off before falling to the street below. Filled with all sorts of emotions, Eren screamed as loud as he could after witnessing his brother die trying to save him.

Eren: AAAGGGHHH!!!

Armin(shocked): Y/n...

The zipping sound of ODM gear was heard as another squad of the 104th came in and grabbed the two survivors before flying off again.

Eren: LET ME GO!!!

Reiner: Its no use Eren. He's gone.

Eren: NO, IF WE CUT ITS NAPE AND SLICE ITS STOMACH OPEN WE CAN STILL SAVE HIM!

Reiner set Eren down before looking at him with a solemn gaze. Y/n was the last person he expected to die.

Reiner: I'm so sorry Eren, but he's gone.