Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Esther was standing next to me in the elevator taking us to my penthouse being unusually quiet.

She'd gone kind of wide eyed when she'd seen the building I was heading towards.

This was not a cheap place to live at. And this was the penthouse.

Being a Titchen had some perks.

I did feel like I was scaring her off a little bit though, when she was realizing just how seriously loaded I was.

I didn't want things to change between us, but I also knew that money often did that.

And I had no idea why I was overthinking this. I was just helping my friend. She needed a place to sleep. There was nothing more to think about.

Once we reached the top floor the doors dinged open making Esther slightly jump in surprise, and I remembered this must be a lot more unsettling for her than it was for me.

I should really be making her feel comfortable.

"Welcome to my place," I announced as the doors opened.

I stepped inside, took my shoes off and left her enough space to get her bearings.

I turned to look back a her.

She stood there for a second, staring at her feet, like she wasn't sure what she should be doing.

I always took my shoes off, because it had always been a habit in my family, but I wouldn't make a big deal if she felt more comfortable keeping hers on.

"You don't have to take your shoes off if you're uncomfortable," I reassured her.

"Oh... no it's okay," she said in her small voice, and when she did I realized her socks weren't matching.

Had she been worried about that? Such a small, insignificant thing.

My heart broke even more for her.

I headed to the kitchen with my plastic bags from the convenience store, to put everything away.

Esther followed me like my little shadow, not making a sound.

Once I was done putting the last thing in the fridge, she cleared her throat, and asked, like she was trying to break the silence, "You live alone here?"

She sat on a stool on the other side of the island, waiting for my answer.

For a second, I realized the craziness of this whole thing.

Maybe I shouldn't trust her like this. Maybe this was all a very elaborate ploy to steal all my stuff.

Honestly though? I didn't really care. If she decided to steal the television, I wouldn't cry about it. The only thing I cared in this penthouse were my plants, and the few trinkets left by my parents, and I doubted any of that was worth anything.

And even if we hadn't known each other for very long, strangely, I trusted Esther.

I didn't trust people easily, so that must have meant something.

"Yeah, both my parents are dead, so it's just me," I admitted a lot more easily than I would have though possible.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she replied automatically.

I smiled softly at her. "Thanks."

"I knew about your dad," she admitted, looking a little sheepish. "You know, that time at the cafeteria."