Chapter 4

Devansh Naik. A prominent personality in the history of Zillows. Under his leadership, the company had profits upon profits. He was the newly appointed Managing Director and the ex-CEO of Zillows.

Zillows was a stationary product manufacturing company started in the year 1952 when a group of ambitious people came together for the betterment of their country in the field of education. Since then, the empire has grown- manufacturing papers, pens, other necessary tools and launching a very own publishing house which had made its name internationally.

Arun Mehta, Devansh Naik and Sanjay Gaikwad were the children of the founders and obviously, had a strong hold on the company and its decisions. While Gaikwad wasn't much interested in the management part[ He was the Creative Director of Zillows ] Arun and Devansh often spent sleepless nights in order to bring Zillows to its current rank in the market.

On that day, 17th of June, Arun and Devansh were discussing about the pervious day's decision. Arun wasn't very pleased about about it, not that it was a secret.

He remembered the clumsy girl Barkha was when she had newly joined the company. With fierce temper and loud attitude.

On one particular day, he was on an important call when he accidentally dashed into the anxiety-driven girl. The excess work had taken a toll on her health and she was very very angry at Arun, forgetting that he was her senior.

Now, Mehta obviously was running late and did not bother apologizing. Barkha fumed. She thought him to be arrogant, and later that day in the caféteria, she spilt her hot coffee on him accidentally. She did apologize later, but Mehta knew better. Oh, the number of employees in his company who hated him!

Since that incident, Barkha did not like the man. Yes, he was old as her father but the hot-headed Barkha could care less.

Today, the two friends were having a conflict when Barkha walked in.

"Sit, sit Barkha we were discussing about you!" said Naik.

She looked a little unsure but at the same time took a seat in front of Naik, ignoring Mehta who sat right beside her.

After a short pause, "Why me?" she asked. Devansh glanced at Arun and laughed a little. No matter how ambitious, her anxiety never failed to make him laugh at the irony.

"I see the passion in you, the one that my father saw in me, ages ago. You are ready for challenges, then what's-"

Barkha cut his words.

"but sir, I apologize. Climbing the corporate ladders is a competitive task. And..and what Arun sa-sir said, that is correct! His son, your son, the other board members, they are certainly more qualified, and -

"Experience is also important Barkha!" Naik said calmly. "Let me tell you, Arun's son has other interests and as for my son.." he shifted uncomfortablely, "he lacks the maturity. You are, by far, the most sensible candidate. Now, what do you want to say?" He asked, looking at the younger woman in front of him.

"I wouldn't miss such an offer if I were you. I gave a thought about this and I must say, we need fresh minds like yours to grow our company. My son practices in the culinary field, hence he would be unsuitable. I shall make no comments on your son, Devansh" Arun said softly, glancing momentarily at Naik.

"Wait..what? You just mentioned the previous day..that he 'had the necessary qualifications and experience'" Barkha said, quoting the words through her hands.

"One can lie kid, in order to see how it affects the other, and needless to say, you looked dumbfounded. " Arun said impatiently.

Barkha had an internal debate. Her mind was utterly confused. Hasty decisions are the never the best options but she had done the same thing yesterday. But no, not today. If she were to take the offer and committ an error, it would spoil the image of a prestigious firm.