chapter 2

Who would have thought that a hot and humid day would end up with a very cloudy evening? Eeshan clearly, hadn't. He rang the door bell of his house, impatiently. The time was close to 10 p.m. and he really hoped his parents wouldn't ground him.
Not that he was a child, but still..

He was tapping his foot impatiently when the door was opened by his mom, smiling very widely at him. Eeshan's eyes grew wide. I'm dead. He smiled awkwardly, shrugging slightly and ran into his house, only to be greeted by his father. I'm dead-Version 2.0

Eeshan slowly went and sat on the couch. He gulped. His mom soon joined them. "Maa, I can explain.. " he said, a little unsure if his parents would actually buy a lie. "Yeah son. Where were you?" his father, Devansh asked sweetly, his words dripping with sarcasm. "I had to drop a friend of mine, to her house. So, I was a little late." Eeshan explained. His father raised an eyebrow and looked at his wife."She?" his mom asked. "Y-Yes" Eeshan stuttered. Oh shit. I'll be caught anytime soon.

Eeshan's mother smiled. "Uh-huh?" "Fine you caught me! I was with Phritvi and others. It was..a party" He said truthfully. "Eeshan, if you have to lie, make it sound convincing. Learn from your father! When he was the CEO, he would lie about his health all the time. And it sounded very convincing! Anyways, what is there to hide in that?" his mother mock scolded him.

Eehsan was definitely a 'mommy's boy'. That was probably why he was a little too pampered. But his father's strict behavior had made him grow up to be a fine gentleman. And quite a heartbreaker too.

Devansh smiled a little. Oh the times he had to lie about his health just so that his company could soar high in the market! "Mom, chill. Dad wont be coming late from now. He's probably thinking of making someone the next CEO of Zillows. Dad! Who have you been thinking of"? Eeshan asked grinning.

Eeshan poured himself a glass of water from the jug whilst smiling. His drunken self was long gone. The word 'CEO' worked like a charm, pushing all his emotions away and bringing him a sense of pride. After all, the son of a CEO is, but the future CEO..right?

He had seen his father work day and night. With that, the 10-year old Eeshan was determined, he would grow up, study and take over his father's position. Now, his 27 year old self was just waiting, for that one moment when his father would one day walk up to him and say " Here son, you can now warm the seat I sat on for the last 15 years" and he would happily agree. Money, a high position and a good face. He would have everything that a female would swoon for. Then, he'd have a hot girlfriend and be the talk of the town. Or maybe even the Most Eligible Bachelor of India! Aahh the happiness then!

"The board has decided the future CEO, son" his father said, a strange delight in his eyes that Eehan mistook to be pride for his son. "Aahh who is that?" Eeshan asked, playing along.

He had had his fair share of drinks in the club. His friends were partying hard, for no reason really, yet Eeshan was ecstatic to join them. He partied, got a little tipsy and was even successful in flirting with a few girls there when his best friend, Phritvi bought him back to senses. Realization hit him like a truck that he had to get back to his home soon and Eeshan immediately ran out of the club, leaving the poor girl he was flirting with alone, and really turned on.

Right now, he was completely sober. His ears were waiting to heat the golden words when, his father's words hit him on his face. "Barkha Agarwal" Devansh said, nonchalantly.
Who that hell is that trying to take what's mine?

"Who the hell is that?" Eeshan asked, unable to stop himself. "She's my assistant. I found her capable and asked the shareholders' opinion. They agree with me, " his father said, shrugging innocently. If only he knew about the jealousy slowly burning inside his son.

"How is she capable? How long has she been your assistant? And when has that been decided?" Eeshan asked, finding it hard to believe. "Just today Eeshan, in the board meeting. Arun was against the idea at first but he too agreed. She's been my assistant for the past 2 years and I've seen the way she works. I'm sure she'll be a great CEO" Devansh answered patiently, aware of his son's feelings.

Eeshan opened his mouth and closed it. He waited. Will his father suddenly scream "I'm kidding son! You're the next CEO of course,"?

Nobody told anything. The living room was so quiet that Eeshan heard his own breathing. He finally asked slowly, "What..about me? I thought, I was gonna take over your position."

Devansh sensed the pain in his son's voice. He replied "You son, need some experience. When I find you ready, I'll let you know. Anyways, it's late already, sleep tight!" 

I'll let you know, he said, no promises. Maybe he was never an option at all. Maybe he was just his father's spoilt son.

Eeshan took a deep breath in. Just two hours ago, he was in a jolly environment with his friends, happily laughing and flirting with hot ladies. It now seemed like ages ago. "Cool," he said, blinking away the few tears in his eyes. His jaws clenched, but his mouth only opened to wish them a good night: "Good night, Mom. Good night, Father." With that, he trotted to his room.

Once she heard the door close, Eeshan's mom voiced out her feelings, "Wasn't that a little harsh on the poor guy, Devansh?"

"I just want the best for him, Meera. Trust me. I might be the villain for him now , but he'll appreciate this sooner or later" Devansh said. He loved his son dearly. He only hoped this decision of his would change Eeshan in a positive way.

He only hoped the decision would make a positive change, but oh dear...he had no idea what his son's brain was already planning.