Chapter 5: Riposte

Marinette has hopes of joining Armand D'Argencourt's fencing school. Although Marinette's worried and nervous, Tikki assures her that she will do a good job. Marinette then clumsily knocks down several helmets, although ends up finding one her size. 

On the fencing court, D'Argencourt assigns the new recruits to fence with the old ones in order to find out who is capable of filling the only open spot.

You were looking for Vanitas and sit around to wait for him to hang out. You spotted Marinette trying out the fencing class and trying to impress Adrien.

You sighed and shook your head until someone has covered your eyes from behind.

"Guess who?" a voice whispers from your ear.

You remove those hand from your eyes and hug Vanitas. "VanVan!"

"Get into position!" Armand announced.

Vanitas thought of something then came up with an idea. "Wanna try?"

"Huh?" you tilt your head.

"Fencing."

You fumble your shirt. "Uh....no?"

Vanitas chuckles by your dishonesty and hold his saber to you. "Give it a try."

You hesitatingly grab it and hold it up right with one hand. Vanitas bend your knees to stretch your left foot back, turned outwards. "This is how you pose, make sure you steady yourself and stretch your legs separate." he instructs.

"Like this?" you does so by keeping still.

"Yep, just like that." Vanitas moves to your side, putting his arm around you to have you lean forward, using his other hand to guide you so your saber is pointing out and the other was wrap around your waist.

"And then outstretch your arm forward with a straight line." The way Vanitas was so close to you made you warm and comforting. His chest pressing against your back as his hands covered yours, showing you how to correctly go through the motions.

You could feel the power radiate from him and you couldn't keep your heart from hammering away in your chest. For a second you wondered what Vanitas would look like in battle, lethal, fierce, and then you were swept away as he guided you through the swing, the blade whistling through the air. Despite the weapon, you felt so safe in his arms that for a moment you forgot where you were and what you were doing.

It was just you and Vanitas.

And the world came crashing back when he released you and you truly felt the weight of the sword for the first time. It was slightly light, much lighter than you had expected and your arms trembled as you did your best to execute the swing on your own. You did so clumsily, nearly dropping the sword and Vanitas chuckled as he rushed to take the weight from you.

"My bad, guess you not fencing material." He broke out in a smile when you pouted. "Let's call it a day."

"Tired already?" you huffed, holding back a giggle.

"Just a little," he replied.

You nod but before you guys ditch out a shout interrupts the fencing try-outs.

"Hey, you! Are you Mr. D'Argencourt, the fencing master? I wanna join your team."

A figure in red fencing gear stands on the scoring box, carrying a red saber.

"Only the best are admitted here, you knave." Armand frowned.

"And I was, everywhere I went." the red fencing greeted him with a sabre.