Chapter 1.

****

April.

Pov: Houtarou Oreki.

My brother and I were taking a taxi to ANHS Kodo Ikusei.

While we were travelling, I was reading one of the books I didn't have time to read at home. Kiyotaka, on the other hand, was watching our route. And so, when I got to the point where 'MC the anti-hero began to explain 'how and why he did it'...I was distracted by my brother Kiyotaka asking me:

- Is there equality in the world?

Hmmm...why would he ask about that? Well, the book can wait.

- Can you be more specific, are you asking me about "equality of things" or "equality in society"?

- The second.

Is there equality in society? Hmmm...that's an interesting discussion, but too energy consuming for me.

- My opinion is that there isn't.

- What makes you think that? Are human rights activists just shaking the air, talking about discriminating against people?

Kiyotaka asked me. He had this trait: "If he starts something, he finishes it."

I replied:

- Society will always be elitist, because any man who has ambition will always strive, "from the bottom, to rise to the class of superior".

Thus, man will steadily evolve to become that "elite" to which he aspires.

- And that elite, which he will knock off the pedestal, will fall to the "bottom" and will try to crush the "new elite" in order to get back.

Kiyotaka makes a good point. I continued

- Exactly. The desire and effort to become the "elite" will twist society, constantly forcing it to evolve, though not always correctly.

But what if there is that "equality" that human rights activists are always spamming about?

- The individual in the private, and society as a whole, will have no reason to develop and make efforts. After all, they will not be able to become "elite" if there is "equality"

Kiyotaka answered his own question. I wasn't surprised by his conclusions. He surprised me and Tomoe, even in his 13 years, when he in a short time, fulfilled the equation, which was solved by his sister for 30 minutes. I won't say anything about foreign languages.

Even though we're considered equals in analyses, and relatively strong too, but when he fights to win, even I can't do all that he can do.

*****

Pov: Kiyotaka Oreki.

Hmmm...equality...so it's unattainable, for humans after all.

Oh, I forgot.

- Why did we take a taxi? It's not cheap, is it?

Then looking at me, Hotaro asked.

- Tell me, would you like to stand on a bus until the next stop because you gave up your seat to a girl or a pensioner?

Um...yes. Nothing to add.

- I wouldn't, it'd be a hassle. Would you?

- Me, cos it's too energy-intensive. Let's just drop it.

At that, we silently agreed and went to the ceremony.

******

- Are ceremonies always this boring?

I asked Hotaru. To which he replied with a sigh.

- Not always, but..... this ceremony is already the most boring in my life.

Then we got to talking, while we were walking down the corridor, I asked Hotaru.

- By the way, what grade are you in?

- Class 1-B.

Class 1-B, which is expected from Hotaru, who keeps saying:

"If I don't have to do something, I won't. If I have to do something, I'll do it quickly."

- Are you Kiyotaka?

- Class 1-D.

And yet we're in different classes. What's this school hiding?

- Strange, I thought we took the tests the same way. So why did you get into 1-D?

- I'm curious.

The tests. No.

I got a perfect 100 on those.

Athletics. No.

There's no way a WR can create a weakling.

Then Hotaru asked me.

- How was the interview?

Maybe the interview is the thread I'm looking for.

- It went the way you and Tomoe and I repertorised it.

So the interview...

- It seems there's something we don't know about class assignments. That's disturbing.

While pondering, Hotaro began to rub his fringes.

- I'll agree with you.

Then, he looked at his watch and....

- Well, we should get to our classes. Don't screw up your greeting Kiyotaka. We'll talk about school later.

- See you later.

And so we went to our classes.

These 3 years of school won't be like the high school I went to with Hotaru.

There, he joined the classics club (i.e. the literature club) because Tomoe didn't want it to be closed, and I learnt that Hotaru's intellectual abilities are as good as mine.

We're nor equal in intelligence and relatively in strength, but one could even say with a stretch that he's my equal in deduction skills, but...if there's a rivalry to "win", even if I hold back.... He won't be able to surpass me.

Though...who knows.