Chapter 3. New friends

*****

Pov: Kiyotaka

You know, you can look at three things forever:

the way fire burns,

how water flows,

and looking to borring director speech about beautiful youth

It was afternoon time. After listening to a detailed explanation of all the buildings and structures on the school grounds, the class was dismissed.

Most of the students scattered to their dormitories, and the rest of the students, gathering in small groups, headed for the café and karaoke. It wasn't long before the crowd dispersed.

- Oreki-kun. We're going to go to the mall, will you join us? - Hirata and his so-called entourage approached me.

- Yeah, join us, it'll be fun. - Matsushita joined the conversation.

I'll have to pass. Too bad, it would have been a great chance to make friends with the others.

- Sorry, guys. Let's do it next time. - I smiled guiltily.

It worked. They accepted my refusal.

- Don't apologise Oreki-kun, since it's like that, then there's nothing to be done. I'll see you around Oreki-kun.

I then said goodbye to them and went to meet Hotaro. We agreed to meet in front of a convenience store.

*****

I walked towards the convenience store. Alone, of course, since I didn't really know anyone here except Hotaro.

- What an unpleasant coincidence!

Upon entering the shop, I once again bumped into my desk mate.

- Don't be so hostile. You're here to buy something too, aren't you? By the way, my name is Oreki Kiyotaka, what's yours?

- Is it okay if I don't introduce myself?

- I think it's awkward not knowing each other's names when we're sitting next door to each other.

- That's fine with me.

- Even if you're fine with it, we'll study together for another 3 years. Isn't it logical to tell me your name?

After giving me an indifferent look, she continued shopping. It seems like she really isn't going to tell me her name.

- Did your friend get into a different class? Or did you come here alone?

- You're nosy. And I'm not the best conversationalist.

- I don't have to say anything else. Just say it.

I thought that was the end of the conversation, but she suddenly changed her mind, sighed, and looked at me.

- Horikita Suzune.

I didn't expect to get a response, but she... or rather Horikita, decided to introduce herself. I looked at her face. Wow! She's really cute, I mean, she's beautiful.

Even though we're the same age, this girl could pass for a second or even third year student. She looked like a grown woman.

- Let me start by telling you a little bit about myself. I'm into piano and calligraphy, but I'm interested in everything. I don't have many friends, but I think it would be nice to make some. That's the kind of person I am.

- Horikita didn't answer anything and continued to look at the shampoos on the shelves.

"We're living in a dormitory from now on, and you probably need more than 'a little'... Girls usually need a lot of stuff."