Chapter 6

The next morning I was up earlier than normal, getting dressed before Dominic had even woke up.

It was hard for me to sleep last night, not that I would have gotten much sleep with Dominic home anyway. However the few last hours I had around dawn were spent in a restless sleep, not tossing and turning but my mind was relentless.

"And here I thought you'd sleep in." Dominics deep voice joked from the bed, still raspy with sleep.

"I wanted to get a jump on tracking." I said slipping on my unofficial snow boots.

"You're not going to ease up until you find something are you?" He asked but I knew he didn't really need a confirmation.

"Says the guy who almost shifted yesterday for the same thing." I sassed coming to the side of the bed.

One arm draped around my hips, "You enough worry for the both of us now." He said with some seriousness.

"Good to know." I chirped back.

He sighed and sat up, "Let me get dressed and we'll go."

I smiled and pecked his lips as a thank you before going to move so he could get up.

"No kiss me right." He demanded, tightening his grip on me to hold me in place.

I rolled my eyes but complied, cupping his sharp jaw and pressing my lips to his for longer than before. His hand squeezed my hip and I had to force back the noise that threatened to slip, knowing any small sign would send him over the edge and we wouldn't leave the bed until tomorrow morning.

I pulled back almost reluctantly and this time he did get up, claiming my lips one last time before he actively moved to get ready.

While he showered I went over to my nightstand, picking up my phone was now fully charged. The power must have come on again sometime during the night.

I picked it up and started dialing the number, walking into the closet to pull out my jacket.

"Hello." Ava mumbled.

"I hope I didn't wake you." I said, pulling the item off its hanger.

She groaned lightly, "No unfortunately I've been up for a few minutes already."

I laughed at the disgust in her tone, "doesn't sound like it." I joked then pause for a moment, "look I actually called to ask you about the ring you found."

I heard the sound of shifting covers before she spoke again, "Uncle Dominic's present?" She asked confused.

"Yeah it turns out he didn't leave it for me." I summarized, "was there anything weird in the room when you came in, a scent you didn't recognize?"

"Wait hold on, Uncle Dominic didn't give it to you?" She repeated.

"Right," I confirmed.

"Then who?"

"That's what I'm trying to find out," I explained, "was there anything off?"

"No," she said, "no I would have smelled someone, there was nothing. Just the box."

I sighed and tucked my phone between my neck and ear, pulling on my jacket as I walked back into the bedroom.

"Okay,"

"Well maybe," she started but her voice was unsure, "I didn't think anything about it at the time, but now."

"What Ava?" I pushed, my interest peaked at the possibility of a lead.

"Your window was wide open, like both panes, the wind was blowing in so I closed them." She described, "I don't know I thought it was slightly odd considering it was cold, but I figured if you wanted them open-"