Chapter 4

The next day passed by slow, most of my morning spent with Claire and Ava before they left to get Ava to school. My afternoon dragged as I tried to find something to do until Benjamin called about the treaty.

It had been three hours and I was still here, sitting in the now incredibly uncomfortable chair in the office.

"Yes I assure you that I will talk to Dominic about some of the revisions and he'll call you." I said for the hundredth time.

Though I wasn't upset about the changes he wanted I was irritated he wouldn't just let me handle it.

Four hundred years and counting and Alphas were still the same, I thought remembering similar situations before I had changed.

"I know I just wanted to make sure, it's for my kid you know." He said honestly, his voice kind but firm.

"I understand, I'll tell him." I forced out again, biting my cheek hard not to snap.

"Alright well I'll let you go," he said but he sounded like he had more stuff to add.

I didn't ask, jumping at the opportunity to get off the phone, "okay thank you for calling, Dominic will call you as soon as he gets back."

He said his goodbye and I quickly hung up. Sighing I'm relief to be done with the formalities.

Benjamin had always been an ally of Dominics, continuing to be even when he changed but it didn't make him less of an Alpha in his own right. Just like it had been centuries ago he only spoke with me to be polite, really wanting the Alpha to make the final decision.

I shook my head at the thought, you would think they'd evolve even a little bit.

Brushing off the call I turned back to the document in front of me, adding notes and making certain changes he mentioned.

I paused briefly when I heard footsteps coming my way, the unnatural rhythm and light sound already in forming me of who it was.

Instead of calling him out I pretended to go back to work, almost laughing when the door handle clicked quietly, signifying he had placed his hand on the door.

"Surprise!" He burst into the room almost screaming.

I let out a mock gasp and placed my hand over my heart, "Jason you scared me!"

"You're such a liar." He teased.

I smiled and stood from the chair, "I try to make you feel better, more accomplished."

He snorted but a grin quickly took over his expression as I pulled him into a hug.

"How was your vacation?" I asked pulling back.

"Wonderful. The southern region is so beautiful this time of year, all the leaves changing, you should've come."

"Yeah and be a total third wheel with you and your mate." I pointed out turning to head back to the desk.

"Hm you're right that would be awkward, especially when we-"

"No stop!" I held my hand out waving it slightly, "I don't want to hear it."

"Prude." He said taking a seat in one of the arm chairs.

"Okay then I'll tell you about me and Dominic yesterday in the shower-"

"Wait no you're right I'm good." He interrupted quickly.

I laughed and took a seat on the desk across from him.

"So what'd I miss." He leaned forward ready for any gossip.

"Well Ava when on a date,"

"She found her mate!? Why didn't you call me?!" He exclaimed, looking truly upset I hadn't informed him.