Chapter 2

I sat on the light pink divan situated next to the large window in Ava's room. My eyes were on the autumn sun started to sink below the horizon.

Claire and Lucas had moved out of the castle after having Ava. They settled into a large craftsman house just down the road.

Ava's room matched her aura perfectly. The colors were a mixture of pale pinks and greens with white accents.

"So what do you think?" Ava asked walking out of the bathroom with Claire following.

She had straightened her blonde hair and was donning a light pair of jeans that had a mom jean fit. Her bubblegum pink crop-top had a square neckline and long sleeves. Because of the high waist on the jeans she wasn't showing too much skin, in fact she made the outfit look chic.

"Cute." I chirped then took a sip of my wine before setting it down on the round table next to me.

"Really?" She spun to face the mirror behind her, "you don't think it's too casual?"

I glanced to Claire who rolled her eyes making me crack a smile. I had only arrived a few minutes ago but I hadn't missed out on the intense conversation about what to wear.

I stood and walked closer, "No, once you put some jewelry on I think it'll be perfect. He said not too fancy right?"

"Right." She nodded, then sighed, "yeah yeah he did. I'll get some jewelry."

She rushed past Claire as she went into the closet for her accessories. I made my way to stand next to Claire.

"So how did Lucas take it?" I asked.

"Not very well, though if it was up to him she'd be in an all-girls school. He's crazy protective of her."

I laughed thinking of his reaction. It was no doubt a mini explosion.

It had been nearly a week since my conversation with Ava. I had one with her mother not long after her visit. To my surprise Claire wasn't too hard to sway, already considering giving in anyway. She saw things the way I did, an innocent and short interaction. However the day I chose to convince her fully Lucas was out checking one of the borders, not hearing the news from me.

"Okay so how about now?" Ava said quickly, barreling out of the closet now with silver jewelry and white shoes on.

"You look great!"

"Very pretty honey." Claire complimented, smiling happily when her daughter did.

I listened as a car pulled down their long drive, cocking my head that way slightly.

"He's here isn't he?" Ava asked, knowing by now to watch for my reactions.

"Yeah I can hear the car now." Claire confirmed after a moment.

"Okay," Ava breathed out nervously, "we should get down there before dad scares him off."

Without waiting she headed out the door, practically running down the stairs. Claire and I following at a slower pace. Much to Avas disappointment Lucas was already heading towards the door.

"No wait I got it!" Ava said rushing to get around him.

I started to laugh at the scene but as his scent hit my nose I saw his figure out of the corner of my eye making me turn towards the living room area.

"When did you get here?" I asked surprised.

"Not long ago. You were too focused on Ava, plus I kind of snuck in." Dominic said coming towards me.

I raised my eyebrows at him, waiting for him to break fully.

"Lucas called me to intimidate the kid." He admitted.