CHAPTER 6

DAMIEN'S POV:
**Mention of depression

Greetings, I am Damian, and my world revolves around the expectations set by my well-meaning but slightly overbearing parents. My father, a pilot, and my mother, an air hostess, have ensured that our family traverses countries, granting me a passport to various cultures. Now, I find myself at Veritas campus, a place I wasn't particularly thrilled about, expecting the typical adulation that comes my way from girls.

As I drove in with my sleek car, a luxury automobile whose brand is the Audi A8, I parked it on the campus and began my journey. My initial lack of enthusiasm for this place soon faded as I settled into the rhythm of the academic routine. I grabbed my schedule from the principal's office, strolled to my locker, and it seemed like every girl had their eyes on me, their words following me through the halls.

My first class was calculus, and there, at the front, sat Annette I knew her name from a guy I had met early called Dante . Her characteristics were as vivid as they were described—beautiful with caramel skin, eyes that hinted at mystery, and an aura of confidence. I allowed a fleeting thought about a potential fling with her to cross my mind, but I quickly brushed it aside, focusing on my studies.

As days turned into weeks, I found my group of friends, a lively bunch with Evan, Josh, Sam, and Dante leading the way the one who introduced me to them. We were the entertainers, the jocks of the school, keeping spirits high and laughter contagious. Amidst this vibrant atmosphere, I secretly hoped my best friend Jack would join us soon, amplifying the fun.

One day, destiny seated me next to Annette. Rumors had already painted her as a 'Bible nerd,' a devout Christian. However, her disinterest in my advances intrigued me. No girl had ever ignored my attempts at conversation. Despite my persistence, she declined to share her number. Curiosity piqued, I found her on Instagram, discovering her aesthetically pleasing posts and Bible verses. The Christian aspect was off-putting, but I couldn't deny an inexplicable attraction.

Balancing the scales, I decided to engage her in playful banter, teasing her gently while still intrigued by this enigmatic Christian girl. The challenge lay in making her crack a smile or even respond. Christian girls had never been my preference, but this one seemed different. As I continued this playful pursuit, I found myself walking a fine line between amusement and genuine interest, unsure of where this journey might lead.

The days turned into an enthralling adventure, blending amusement with genuine curiosity. The vibrant energy of the campus mirrored the dynamics of our friendships, making every day an exciting chapter in this unfolding story. My heart remained open to possibilities, even if they arrived in a package I had never expected. I am rich but in the lap of luxury, within my lavish penthouse, I am surrounded by opulence that mirrors my family's success and affluence. The breathtaking view from the penthouse, with the city sprawled beneath me like a mosaic of lights, only adds to the grandeur. The walls adorned with modern art, the sleek design, the plush furniture—it's the epitome of sophistication. The lifestyle I lead is nothing short of extravagant, yet an unsettling feeling gnaws at me, an emptiness that no amount of material wealth can fill.

My parents, with all their good intentions, have mapped out a life for me—a life I don't wish to lead. They envision a future where I marry a Christian girl, someone who fits their perception of an ideal partner. However, this clashes with my desires, my love for parties, the thrill of rebellion, and the freedom to embrace the wild side of life. The prospect of being tied down to someone who curtails these freedoms feels suffocating.

In their eyes, my rebellion stems from a place of ignorance, an inability to see the sanctity of their beliefs. Yet, I find myself caught between the shackles of their expectations and the pursuit of my own happiness. I cherish my best friend, Jack, for standing by me and being my anchor in this tumultuous sea of expectations.

Despite my material abundance and a friend who understands me, there remains a void. It's a hollow space within my soul that craves something more, something elusive that eludes definition. I've tried to fill it with the highs of partying, smoking, and drinking, but those are merely temporary fixes to a persistent ache.

Depression often lurks in the shadows of my life, an uninvited guest that haunts my thoughts and emotions. I've become a master of disguise, donning the facade of the 'perfect son,' concealing my struggles beneath a veil of faux smiles. My parents are oblivious to this internal turmoil, unknowing of the battles I face daily.

The access to their credit cards, the material abundance, it all pales in comparison to the storm within. I yearn for a life where my desires align with my reality, where I'm not suffocated by the weight of expectations. I long for authenticity, for a chance to break free from the chains that bind me, to embrace life on my terms.

In this luxurious haven, I find myself grappling with the essence of my being, seeking a resolution that could bridge the chasm between their aspirations and my own desires. The pursuit of that elusive missing piece continues, an odyssey through the maze of my own existence.

***

Hope you loved it 😊
Like, follow and comment
QUESTION: WHAT IS THAT ONE THING LIFE HAS TAUGHT YOU
MY ANSWER: In my experience, life has taught me the importance of prioritizing self-care and personal growth. Friends may come and go, and betrayal can happen, but investing in your own well-being, faith, and family provides a solid foundation. For those who share my belief, having faith and trusting in your prayers can be a source of strength. Never losing hope and holding onto your beliefs is crucial in navigating life's challenges.
But I respect everyone's religion so pray and seek guidance to whom you believe in.
Love y'all:⁠-⁠)