9

It's been quiet two weeks, since the night I told them why I go to the cemetery

It's been quiet two weeks, since the night I told them why I go to the cemetery. The doctor, medicines and food come on time in the room, everyday. I haven't dared to leave the room but sitting in this room has been tormenting, not more tormenting than being in Alexie's prison. Where can a person hide when the ghosts from the past come to chase them?

Memories, such a beautiful thing had never felt so haunting. Time spent in this room, in this very house with Lily, Ezra, Clay, Cillian and even Caleb and Alexie. Twelve years and so many memories. Not a single sad one and yet here I sit haunted by each one.

When you are hopeless, dehydrated and starving, when your body is depleted of everything including your will to survive, things are easy. You wait for just one day, the day when death takes you. But as that day keeps reaching out of your hands and your body starts filling with water, nutrients and through all those cracks when hope starts seeping in, you know the day when everything breaks all over again is near.

So I wait here, by the window everyday for them to come, and take away whatever they can. Body, life, soul, anything that will ease their pain or make me feel something, anything. But they never come, no one ever does.

I let my mind wander somedays, what would life have been if Lily and Ezra were still here?

I and Ezra would have been that married couple who go to all the parties and social gatherings to meet all the phony people and yet in a room full of people our eyes would still search for each other. Ezra would cook for us on dinner dates and we would steal time and go on road trips. The craziest time we have spent together was on the road. And yet through all this madness we would make sweet love every day for the rest of our lives.

Lily would be right by my side when I walked down the aisle with an engagement ring around her finger. Probably freaking out more than me and definitely crying buckets of tears. Alexie would be there cursing me for making the love of his life cry. Cillian, Clay and Caleb would probably be doing the same. Cillian would be proud of me, Clay would be crying because he will miss me and Caleb would be the only one who would be genuinely happy to let me go. The man hates me with everything he has. He always has.

It's strange how these very beautiful and strong men never found love, yet. Maybe with me and Lily married, they might start looking at life differently? You know with heart eye emoji kind of look? But who am I kidding? The men might probably stab the hearts with their own hands even if it makes them blind. I know Caleb and Cillian would, but Clay? He would find love sooner than everyone else. He might be a kiddo at heart but his heart is in the right place.

How beautiful happiness would have looked in all our lives. If I wouldn't have killed Lily and Ezra.

The door opens and Clay stands there, looking so different than what I had imagined him to be, if our lives would have been different. I know why he is here, so I stand and walk to him, without any words, I follow him to the basement and back to the room.