Prologue

Maybe I should just tell him.

Claire shook her head to herself, padding at a quick pace along the edge of RiverClan's territory. She couldn't tell him she was pregnant with his kits; it would ruin his reputation, his goal, everything he had worked to hard for. No, she had to keep this secret, at least from him.

She scanned the area again as she swerved away from the border, making sure no RiverClan patrols were around. If they caught her...if they brought her back to camp...it would force him to reveal his own secret, and once again, he would never reach his goal. His life's work would come tumbling down all around him, and who would be to blame? Claire.

Claire stepped over to the other side of the border and turned to face the rivers and trees behind her. I'm sorry, her mind whispered, and she imagined the breeze picking up her thoughts and taking them to him. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you.

It was to keep him safe. It was to help him. That's what Claire had to keep telling herself.

She turned back and hurried away into the rolling hills, to the cluster of trees and the large wooden Twoleg den in the distance. Every step took her further and further away from the Clans — further and further from him. She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. Claire could stay with her brother, easily; Sylvester was fair, he would take her in. She could raise her kits peacefully, away from the roughness of Clan life.

Maybe it was a good idea not to tell him after all. He might insist that their kits stay in RiverClan, where they would be trained into warriors to fight the other Clans. No, that was not the destiny of her kits. She wanted them to meet their father, but never join RiverClan.

But still...

Claire felt a pang of sadness in her head as she imagined him waiting in their meeting spot, night after night, waiting for a cat who would never show up. Ever again. She pushed the thought firmly from her mind. It was safer this way — for both of them, but mainly him.

As she approached the forest ahead, Claire paused to look back one last time.

I'll come back one day — with our kits. You won't die not knowing that they never existed.

I promise.