Chapter 15

Before we leave Castelia City, we find Dr. Colress at the Central Plaza. He says, "Hello to you again! If it's not an inconvenience, may I have a look at your Pokémon?"

I say, "Sure, Pikachu, Absol." Then the two Pokemon move forward as Colress says, "I appreciate your cooperation."

After seeing the two Pokemon and even scanning them, he says, "Oh! How interesting! Your Pikachu and Absol seem to display more self-confidence than others of the same species. Fantastic! I'm not sure how you're doing it, but you're bringing out the power of your Pokémon!"

"What does that mean?" Golly asks, and I say, "Right, Golly. You have no idea what Dr. Colress' research is about."

Alice says, "The theme of his research is: "Bringing out the power of Pokémon."

Cilan asks, "Bringing out the power of Pokemon?"

Colress explains, "Is it possible to bring out their maximum power through the bond they share with their Trainers? Or is there some other, different method? I'd like to test my theory by battling with you. Do you find this acceptable?"

I'm surprised that Dr. Colress wants to battle me, and I say, "Sure. I can have a battle with you."

"Great, I'll be waiting on Route 4. It's just beyond here!" Then Colress leaves as he wants us to prepare. And just when we arrive at Route 4, we find Colress standing in front of some rocks that are blocking the way.

"I've been waiting for you! What's the matter? Interested in what's behind me? These are not mere rocks, but the Pokémon known as Crustle."

"Crustle is the evolution of Dwebble after all." I say. "But what about it?"

"Observe. With this device I created to energize Pokémon, I'll..." He presses a button and much to our surprise, the Crustle start to move and now they're gone. But what intrigues me is the glowing red eyes that they have there.

"Those Crustle... Were they just lying here, out of energy, with their boulders on their backs?" Colress says, "Team Plasma said we should recognize the potential in Pokémon and liberate them from humans. I disagree. Conversely, it should be humans who bring out the hidden potential in Pokémon!"

We stare at Colress with slight confusion. Is Colress also in Team Plasma as well? I know for sure that we used to stay in Team Plasma as I was the king, but...

"Well then, I will test you to see if you're a Trainer who can bring out the hidden potential of Pokémon, Ash!" Colress says as we have a battle.

Colress uses a Magnemite and a Klink, I know that he is fond of Steel Types according to Lillie and the experiences that we saw through the battles. I go for Timburr to battle, and both Pokemon are defeated by Arm Thrust.

"I see! Just like the Gym Leaders in each area or the Elite Four and Champion in the Pokémon League, you bring out the power in Pokémon by being kind to them! That's the kind of person you are. I'm extremely grateful for your help. This is a token of my gratitude." He gives me a Protein, and he then says, "It's so frustrating! Even if we could talk to Pokémon in order to bring out their power, there's still something that needs to be done to do more! Well then, I hope to see you again sometime."

After Colress leaves, Iris asks, "Are you sure we can trust him? I mean... he doesn't seem like a nice guy..."

"But he is a nice guy." Eve says. "I actually have his help for me to become a Professor. And he's also an aura user like us."

"Anyway, let's continue traveling. I wonder what's up with this Route 4..." I say, "It basically splits into two parts."

Cilan says, "Allow me to explain. Because of Reshiram and Zekrom's appearance, a lot of the Unova parts have been named after their colors, black and white. In the Black District, thanks to the progress of technology, many buildings have been constructed since then. However, in the White District, the discovery of ancient ruins halted any further construction plans."