chapter forty-two

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐃𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 fee before she and Steve walked into the museum, following the signs that led to the blonde soldier's hero identity

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐃𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 fee before she and Steve walked into the museum, following the signs that led to the blonde soldier's hero identity. She glanced over at the man walking next to her. "So your genius plan to keep yourself hidden is..." She looked him over. "A baseball cap?"

"No one's recognized me yet."

Grace nodded. "Are you sure about that?" she asked and he followed her gaze, landing on a little boy who very clearly recognized the super soldier. Steve put his finger against his mouth and the little boy nodded, promising not to say he was in the building. "Your disguise is working wonderfully."

Steve rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah."

"A symbol to the nation," the Smithsonian narrator said as they looked at the exhibit. "A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery, and sacrifice." Grace's eyes shifted to the display showing the before and after of Steve receiving the serum. "Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform him into the world's first super soldier."

Grace moved on to the next display and she paused. It was all of the inventions she had created. "Made by famous inventor, Howard Stark's sister, these were some of the weapons that Captain America and his Howling Commandos used in their mission to take down HYDRA, the Nazi rogue science division. Their uniforms..." Her eyes shifted to the mannequins. "Battle-tested, Captain America and his Howling Commandos quickly earned their stripes."

She peered around the corner hearing a voice. She walked into a dark room and looked up at the screen, her eyes widening at the sight of herself. "When did I do an interview...?" she asked herself, sitting down on one of the benches.

"Oh, that winter," Grace in the video said with a nod. "That was a harsh one. There was a, um, a blizzard that trapped half of our battalion behind the German line. And Steve, he..." She paused and cleared her throat. "Sorry. Steve fought his way through a HYDRA blockade. He saved over a thousand men. Because of him... those men were reunited with their loved ones." She nodded to herself before standing up and leaving, out of sight of the screen.

Grace let out a breath and looked down at her fingers. "Oh. That interview." She walked out of the dark room and found Steve looking at a display. "Hey, what are you—"

"Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barnes and Steven Rogers were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield," the narrator said and Grace glanced at Steve. "Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country."

"Steve—"

"You know, if he was here right now, he'd be very disappointed to know that your brother wasn't able to make a flying car," Steve said and she raised her eyebrows. "He saw it at the Expo in '43."

Grace nodded. "I remember." She looked over at the picture of Bucky. "He looked like he'd seen an alien when he saw me talking to you."

Steve shrugged. "In his defense, he'd never seen that before. After the war ended, did they, uh... did they ever find him?"