Chapter 14: The Battle of Trost Pt. 3

Gathered in front of Trost's inner gate, a large group of people were watching in shock as a merchant was forcing them to stay back so he could push his cargo through.

*Punch!*

A citizen flew back into the crowd after being hit by one of the merchant's men. He wiped the trickle of blood from his lip and stood up.

Citizen: What the hell is wrong with you people? Can't you see what's happening?!

Merchant: I can see perfectly fine, believe me. If you want to make it out of here alive then stop whining and help!

The crowd started shouting and objecting. The merchant cared not for their lives, only preserving his wealth by getting his cargo through the gate. A single Garrison soldier was pushed to the front of the crowd with an uncomfortable look on his face.

Citizen: You're a soldier, make him move that damn wagon!

Soldier: I-I'm not exactly sure-

Merchant: Take your best shot soldier boy. I'm the president of this district's merchant guild.

Soldier: Uh- Well I-

Merchant: Who do you think pays for all the food you and your shitty soldier friends crap out? Unless you've got some finances tucked away from that pathetic excuse of a job, shut your damn mouth and help push. This cargo is worth more than any of you will make in your whole life. No one is getting out unless the wagon is in front of them. There'll be a reward in it if you help.

*BOOM*

Everyone slowly turned and looked down the street. To their shock and horror, a Titan rounded the corner and charged toward them with terrifying speeds.

Merchant: PUSH IT THROUGH DAMMIT! THAT THING WILL KILL US ALL!

A squad of Garrison soldiers flew after the Titan but were unable to draw its attention, much to their confusion.

Soldier 1: WHY THE HELL IS IT IGNORING US?!

Soldier 2: IT'S AN ABNORMAL!

Soldier 3: IT'S TOO FAST. WE WON'T BE ABLE TO REACH IT IN TIME!

Soldier 1: JUST STAY ON IT!

A loud whose was heard as Mikasa shot past all the soldiers and sliced the Titan's nape clean off. The body fell to the ground with a loud thud right in front of the terrified civilians. Mikasa landed on its head, flinging the blood from her swords. She glanced at the dull chipped edges of her blades before taking notice of the situation at hand.

Mikasa: What's going on here?

Merchant: Perfect timing. Force these morons to push my wagon and I'll compensate you handsomely!

Mikasa: Seriously? Soldiers are dying back there, laying down their lives. My comrades are dying, and all you care about is moving your possessions?!

Merchant: That's their job. Do you expect me to shed a tear because they're doing what they signed up for? Don't get all high and mighty on me just because you finally have to earn your damn keep after all these years!

Mikasa jumped down from the dead Titan's head and began making her way toward the merchant.

Mikasa: Yeah, you're right. I guess it's what you call the greater good. Sometimes it's not the life or death of a soldier that makes the biggest difference.

The merchant saw the lifeless glare in Mikasa's eyes as she approached him. His aides stood in front of him as she drew nearer.

Merchant: How dare you? I happen to know the commander of the military installation here. One word from me and I'll have you court martialed!