Chapter 9

Jayfeather glared at Icepaw with sightless, furious blue eyes.

"She did a good job," Ivypaw protested.

"Icepaw is still an apprentice! She could have done it wrong!" Jayfeather snarled.

Icepaw felt like she wanted to shrink in her pelt and hide under a rock from the embarrassment of being yelled at by Jayfeather in front of every cat. 

"But she didn't," Ivypaw pointed out.

Leafpool padded out of the medicine den, a frown scrawled across her face. "What's going on here?"

"Icepaw treated Ivypaw's dislocated hind leg on her own, without permission." Jayfeather hissed.

"It wasn't like I could just leave Ivypaw alone and injured int he woods! Besides, I knew what I was doing." Icepaw couldn't help snapping at Jayfeather. Unfortunately, this was a terrible mistake.

"How dare you!?" Jayfeather's fur bristled up to twice it's size.

"Jayfeather, calm down," Leafpool placed a soothing tail on Jayfeather's shoulder. "Icepaw, Jayfeather is just worried that Ivypaw could have been hurt if you did anything wrong."

Gradually, the crowd of cats that had gathered began to dissolve as the mood in camp changed to a more calm one.

"Okay. I'm sorry, Jayfeather and Leafpool. And you too, Ivypaw." Icepaw shifted self-consciously on her paws.

Ivypaw shook her head. "I'm fine."

Leafpool nodded at Ivypaw. "Come into the medicine den, I'll just give you a quick check to make sure you're alright."

Ivypaw and Leafpool disappeared into the medicine den and Icepaw prepared herself for a scolding from Jayfeather. Instead, Jayfeather's fur flattened to normal and he and his brother, Lionblaze, blinked curiously at Icepaw.

"Icepaw," Lionblaze began, "Do you ever notice different things about yourself that other cats don't have?"

Icepaw frowned, confused. "What?"

"There's a prophecy," Jayfeather explained, "There will be three, kin of Firestar's kin, who will hold the power of the stars in their paws. Initially, we thought Hollyleaf was the third cat, but after she died," Jayfeather bowed his head, "We realized the third cat had to be someone else."

Icepaw gaped at them for a few moments before understanding. "You think... you think I'm the third cat?"

"You are the kin of Firestar's kin," Lionblaze pointed out, "And you hear and smell things other cats don't."

Icepaw swallowed, terrified for one small moment before feeling a rush of bravery and strength. She could do this. She was special. She was chosen by StarClan themselves! Suddenly, Icepaw knew she could change the world if she wanted to.