Chapter Fourteen

Kaia sank onto the edge of a broken stone at the top of the parapet and sighed softly as Madril asked, "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine," she said, looking up at him. It was a lie, of course. The moment she heard Boromir's name, and then his voice, her stomach had been a mess of jumbles and knots. And when she met his gaze... her heart beat so fast and with such force, she thought for a moment she might faint.

But then those gray-blue eyes narrowed and his gaze pierced right through her. The anger practically radiated from him and while she couldn't fault him at all, it did surprise her that he was so angry. She'd always thought that men easily separated emotion from the physical and that he would be just as glad to not have her clinging to him, begging for a future with him. But then again, her experience with men was on the limited side, and none she'd ever known were anything like Boromir. Not by half.

She hadn't expected him to speak to her. In fact, she thought he might just shove past her and go on his way. And now that he had spoken, she almost wished he hadn't. Almost.

She stared toward the doorway where she'd last seen him. Part of her hoped the halflings had too far a head start on him, that he'd give up and return to Osgiliath. But that was only simply so she didn't worry about him, about something terrible befalling him.

"If you don't mind my saying, you look as if you've seen a ghost."

"No." She shook her head. "Well, not exactly, anyway."

"Did you know the halflings?"

"Know them? No. Know of them? Yes." She turned completely toward him. "I know Boromir knows them, but not how or why. I've heard him speak of them, but he never went into detail."

"Hmm..." Madril's eyes narrowed slightly and she waited for him to ask her about how she knew Boromir.

But he didn't. Instead, he gazed out over the growing darkness, which seemed far heavier and much darker than normal. Something in the distance must've caught his attention, for he said, "Excuse me," and hurried off in the opposite direction.

Curious, she followed, coming up as Faramir joined him on the far parapet and Madril said, "It's been very quiet across the river. The orcs are lying low. The garrison may have moved out. We've send scouts to Cair Andros and if the orcs attack from the north, we will have some warning."

Orcs. Although she knew the chance of facing them grew far greater with each passing day, it didn't mean the thought did not scare her at all. She watched as Faramir's men moved about, seemingly at random purpose, but she knew well enough they were moving into position for either watch or battle, and she strongly suspected the latter.

She was not wrong.

The first arrow took her by surprise. It swished over her head, striking one of Faramir's men dead center in the chest, piercing his armor as if it was no thicker than a sheet of paper. He fell, clanking down the stone steps as he rolled out of sight.

"They're not coming from the north," Faramir said, "To the river! Quick! Go!"

Despite the roiling in her belly, despite the icy terror rushing through her veins, she followed the others to Osgiliath's lowest level, where the river had begun to swamp it, greenish-black water swirling about the crumbling stone. Black dots danced before her eyes as she flattened herself into an alcove, just as she had done earlier, when the Nazgûl swooped overhead.

A boat silently eased up to the stone and dropped its ramp, and orcs poured from it, splashing and sloshing their way through the fortress. Madril and Faramir were the first to leap out and attack and her hands wrapped tightly about her sword's grips, Kaia did the same.