Chapter Twenty-Two

Boromir hesitated at the threshold of Tower Hall, his stomach knotting as he caught sight of Aragorn for the first time since they were in the clearing at Amon Hen. Aside from Frodo and Kaia, Aragorn was the only one who knew what he had done.

But Aragorn was not the only one in the room, for Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, and Éomer of Rohan were with him as well. As he hovered on that threshold, Gandalf said, "Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening."

"If Sauron had the Ring," Aragorn replied, "we would know it."

"It's only a matter of time. He has suffered defeat, yes. But," Gandalf told him, "behind the walls of Mordor, our enemy is regrouping."

"Let him stay there." Gimli said, his voice low with disgust. "Let them rot! Why should we care?"

"Because ten thousand orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom. I've sent him to his death."

"No," Aragorn said. "There is still hope. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth We can give him that."

"How?" Gimli broke in.

"Draw out Sauron's armies," Aragorn told him, "empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate."

Taking a deep breath, Boromir crossed into the Tower Hall. "And I will march with you, if you will have me."

With those words, each man swiveled in his direction and both Gimli and Legolas visibly stiffened. "What are... wait... how..."

Aragorn's expression remained neutral, but his eyes did slightly widen. "Boromir? But I thought... that is... you were dead..."

"No," he replied, shaking his head slightly. "Close to it, but not dead, as you can see."

"But you were riddled with arrows." Aragorn closed the gap between them, his hands coming to rest on Boromir's shoulders. "I saw with my own eyes."

"As the battle moved, and I moved away, a girl found me." Boromir managed to smile as Aragorn's eyebrows rose in surprise. "She dragged me from harm's way and nursed me back and here I am."

Aragorn's look of surprise slowly gave way to a hint of a grin. "Here you are. And it is good to see you."

As Aragorn embraced him warmly, the last of Boromir's doubts drained from him. Aragorn did not hold what he'd done against him, and with that, Boromir returned the hug, saying, "And I would once more offer my aid, for whatever you might need me to do."

"Are you certain you are in condition to do so?" Aragorn stepped back, shaking his head. "I know not the extent of your injuries, but—"

"A bit of stiffness from time to time, but Kaia has skill and a gift and because of her, I am here almost the same man I was before we landed at Parth Galen." He met Aragorn's eyes. "But not exactly the same."

A brief bob of his head, and Aragorn said, "I wish I could meet this girl and thank her."

"You can, actually," Boromir replied and it was his turn to grin as he added, "She is here, with me, and to make the story sweeter still, we are not only going to be married, but are expecting our first child this coming summer."

He bit back a brighter smile at the looks of astonishment on all but Éomer's face. Aragorn's grin widened as he said, "Is that so?"

"It is. And it only makes my desire to defeat Sauron that much stronger. So, if you all will have me, I will ride to the Black Gate with you."

Éomer stepped up. "We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms."

"Not for ourselves," Aragorn agreed, "but we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us." He turned to Gandalf. "Keep him blind to all else that moves."