Chapter- 16 (REFINEMENT- PART FIVE)

Flashback- LAN QIREN’S POV

It was a beautiful sunny morning during the autumn months, when Cloud Recess received a letter requesting their help to eliminate a yao that was destroying the fields and crops of the people in Ciayi Town

It seemed quite simple. It had been after A-Zhan's birth. It was deemed to be quite an easy one looking at the reports. But when our disciples came back, they were injured heavily. This set us in deep discussions. It had been a long time since I had been on a night hunt. So I decided to go and check what it was all about.

When I reached there, I saw something I hadn't expected to see. The yao wasn't normal, that much I had gathered with what our disciples had reported after their injuries. But this yao was much worse than predicted. It was like, if you successfully kill one yao, two more would stand at its place. And by now, they have already grown in numbers quite exponentially. I couldn't just go ahead and kill them. So I went back to plan a strategy to deal with those yaos.

But, even by nightfall, I couldn't figure out anything. So I went to rest. It had been just a sichen I had gone to sleep when I woke up with all the chaos around me. And I saw that the yaos had left the fields and entered the village to wreck havoc. So even if I had no plans in place, I had to do something to stop them. So I jumped into the fight.

But it was very much apparent that the spiritual energy of us cultivators was actually making the yaos more powerful. And soon, I was almost overpowered by 10 yaos. I had already accepted that I would die there. I was losing my consciousness when a sword glaze suddenly blinded me. But before I could make out anything, I was knocked about for a few moments by one of those yaos.

When I finally came to my senses, the first sight that welcomed me was that of an immortal fighting and ending those yaos gracefully. I was entranced by the sight. Once the fight was over and every yao ended, the immortal came and helped me to my feet, while her partner played Rest. And that's when I noticed it wasn't any immortal, but actually, Cangse Sanren and I looked at her in astonishment because she seemed to be heavily pregnant. The sight was so ethereal that for a moment, I even thought that I had already reached the heavens. I wish you could see that scene. I deem myself lucky to have witnessed it. Never, even in my imagination, had I ever pictured Cangse Sanren as an almost immortal. The picture she had always painted of herself was that of a skillful cultivator, yet a prankster at heart.

(Qiren paused and took a deep breath while focusing on the memories of that day. Wei Ying sat stunned, as did many others. This was the first time that the younger generations ever even heard of the sliver of talent that Cangse Sanren possessed. Wen Ruohan thought, 'What a gem both mother and son are. It would have been such a wonderful addition to the Wen Sect had I known about them before. I could have easily enticed this Wei Family and kept them much more happier than this idiot Jiang, who still can't see ahead of his own petty problems, wasting away all his charges, who possess immense talent. Huh.... what a waste.')

He continued, 'When she came closer, I thought she would ask me how I was, but... interestingly, she started berating me, saying, "What the hell were you thinking, you old goat? Was it fun to keep your life on line? Have you forgotten your two ducklings. You still have to take care of them, or else they are completely doomed in your absence. The elders who can separate a mother and her child are nothing but monsters. And that idiot good-for-nothing father of theirs who refuses to take responsibility and has forgotten about them too. So, Sect Leader, Lan Qiren, stop putting your life in danger, or I will gut you myself and run away with those two Radishes you call your sons." To say I was appalled would be an understatement. Because first of all it was Cangse Sanren, then the fact that she was pregnant and third that she was so damn angry.