012. the airstrip

It's early morning and the group are sitting on the ground, staring at the burnt remains of the chateau.

"Could've been a faulty electrical wire." Pope says.

"Place was all wood. A tinderbox." Kie says.

"Thing just went up." Cleo says. "Boom."

"Verdict's in, bro. Whoever's up there does not like you." JJ tells his best friend. Cordelia gives him a look. "Sorry."

+++

They're all on the dock.

"Sarah, when did you say the pilot was getting in?" John B asks.

"Probably like an hour?" Sarah replies. "I mean, once he's here, my dad says we can leave whenever we want"

"Okay, well, as much as I would love to ghost my parents again, I can't." Pope says.

"Pope, we're talking El Dorado here. Can you just slip out the back maybe?" JJ suggests.

"Great advice." Kie remarks.

"It always worked for me." JJ says. "How to avoid unpleasant circumstances 101. If there's a problem, you don't wanna face it, turn that face and keister around and walk the other way."

"It does work." Cordelia says, JJ pointing to her.

"I'm not doing that, okay?" Pope tells him.

"I just want you to be there." JJ says.

"I'm gonna be there." Pope promises. "I'll meet you at the airstrip in an hour?"

"Yeah, we'll see you there." John B says.

"One hour, Pope. Not a second later." JJ warns.

"Think you should let me talk, Pope. Think your mom kinda likes me." Cleo says.

"I don't think it's gonna be pleasant for either of us." Pope tells her.

"I'm gonna take a stroll back to the shack." JJ says. "For old time's sake. I always wanted to go to South America. Great surf, cheap weed." JJ says.

"Yeah." Cordelia mumbles, jumping off the railing.

"I should go home." Fletcher mutters.

"You could come with us." Sarah offers.

"Uh... what?" Fletcher asks, glancing between the group.

"Not if he's gonna be all up on her." JJ frowns.

"He's not coming just to make out with Delia." Sarah deadpans.

"Ugh. Ew. No!" JJ grimaces, shivering in disgust. Cordelia shoves him, the boy gagging.

"Fuck off." She mutters.

"You're not anything like your brother... I'd say you could come." John B says.

"And the group just keeps growing." Kie remarks.

"I... I-I guess if you guys are cool with it." Fletcher hesitantly agrees.

"Only if you want to." Cordelia says.

"Yeah. yeah, sure. Whatever helps you guys get what you deserve." Fletcher says.

"Sweet." Cordelia grins. "Airstrip in an hour?" He nods. She blushes before pecking him on the lips.

"Hell, no. No. None of that shit." JJ pulls Cordelia away, gently shoving her further down the dock. "Unacceptable."

"Hey, J, wait." Kie calls, getting him to stop. Cordelia glances back, but continues to walk away.

+++