When There Are Nine

Gilded Lily by Cults

Cass had forgotten how nice it was to feel the sunlight on her skin. The sunlight had dried her dress quickly, but she still had ruined the lovely pink dress with a massive blood stain down the front. She was sad, because it was the nicest dress she'd ever worn.

The terrain they were covering now was much more pleasant, open rolling hills with magnificent lush green grass. If they hadn't still had to walk quite a way, she would have taken off her shoes and walked barefoot to feel the softness of the grass.

"What do you think Aslan will be like?" Lucy asked Cass as they walked.

Cass thought for a moment. "I think he is kind. And strong. Generous and just. Everything a good leader should be."

Lucy smiled. "I think he's going to be magnificent."

"Absolutely fantastical." Cass added with a smile.

The two girls laughed, and continued walking.

***

Aslan's camp had red and gold tents, all of them round with flags on top. However, what surprised Cass, was the centaur blowing a horn on a hill.

She was suddenly grateful for all the hours Stiles had spent ranting about fictional animals.

But now they weren't so fictional. And Stiles wasn't here.

Cass had last seen Stiles when she left his house during the rain. After he kissed her.

She turned red at the thought.

"Why are they all staring at us?" Susan whispered to the group.

Cass snapped out of her train of thought, her eyes trailing around to see what Susan meant. All of the creatures were staring at them.

"Maybe they think you look funny." Lucy joked.

Cass tried to suppress a smile at that. Lucy had managed to thaw Cass, making her feel a little more comfortable in the presence of the Pevensies and the beavers.

They came to a stop in front of a centaur with long dark curls. He was dressed in Narnian amour and had a stern look on his face.

Peter drew his sword, holding it up to the centaur. Cass wanted to cringe at the motion. It was obvious they didn't know any customs of Narnia, and she was deeply embarrassed and aware of how little she knew as well.

"We have come to see Aslan." Peter spoke. He was speaking slower than the tone he had used with her, almost as if he was worried that if he spoke too fast the centaur wouldn't understand him.

The centaur smirked, clearly amused by the lack of customs and knowledge. He turned his head to look at a large red tent that was conveniently in the middle of the camp.

A breeze brushed by. It smelt of flowers that had stood in the sun. It was a glorious smell. It also caused the curtain of the tent's door to flap open, revealing a huge golden paw.

Out of the tent, stepped the most magnificent and majestic lion Cass had ever seen. He was huge, and carried an aura of peace with him.

All of the Narnians behind them dropped onto their knees.

Cass startled, dropping as well, and pulling Susan and Lucy down with her, Peter following suit.

"Welcome, Susan and Lucy, daughters of Eve." The lion spoke. Cass should have been used to talking animals by now, but she hadn't expected Aslan to be a lion. "Welcome Peter, son of Adam."