A State of Grace

First day jitters, blue glitter gel pens, scattered papers, broken clipboards, busy hallways, fleeting moments, the music of your own mind, falling stars, aching hearts, no complaints

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ─

"Excuse me, do you think you could show me where I can keep my stuff?" The doctor Gracie tapped on the shoulder whirled around, and her face broke into a grin.

"Oh my gosh!" she exclaimed sweetly. "You're Gracie, the new ER nurse? Meredith told me all about you! Come with me!"

Gracie smiled and laughed nervously. "Oh really, what did she say?"

"She said your resume looked impressive and you seemed wonderful."

"Aww how sweet of her. I don't think I got your name?"

"Jo Wilson!" the doctor said, her eyes crinkling when she smiled. She had long, light brown hair, a round face, and Disney princess eyes. She reminded Gracie of an adorable doe.

"Today's my first day and I completely forgot to ask Dr.Grey where the break room was."

"Don't worry, I've got you! So, what brings you Seattle?" she asked after a brief pause. Gracie chewed her lip.

Well, my daughter's deadbeat dad stopped paying child support, it's too hot in Texas, and I missed my sister. That didn't seem like the most appropriate answer, so instead, Gracie replied, "Oh, I was just moving to be closer to some family."

"Do you know anyone in the city?"

"Just an old friend," she said breezily, a rose blush threatening to spill across her cheeks if she thought about Jack too long. She'd tossed and turned all night, thinking about the Jack from highschool and firefighter Jack.

"How nice!" Dr.Wilson said as they turned a corner. She pushed open a door, and two young-looking women in light blue scrubs and long white coats smiled at her.

"Jo!" the first one said, smiling.

"Go!" her companion greeted, stuffing a muffin into her mouth. Gracie had to laugh.

"This is Jules Millin and Mika Yasuda," Jo said, introducing the two. "They're surgical interns."

"Nice to meet you," Jules chirped, sticking out her hand for Gracie to shake. "Are you a resident?"

"You're absolutely beautiful," Mika complimented.

Gracie smiled warmly and laughed. "I'm an ER nurse, and thank you!" Jack's comment over the phone last night rang in the back of her mind. You look beautiful Gracie.

She needed to stop thinking about him.

Jo snapped her out of her thoughts. "Anyway, this is where you can keep your stuff," she said, guiding Gracie over to a locker. Gracie thanked her and put her bag away, adjusting her hair and pink stethoscope.

"I'm actually working in the ER with Dr.Kepner today, so you can stick with me," Dr.Millin said.

"Dr.Kepner," Gracie said quietly, trying to recall who that was. "Oh! The redhead, right?"

"Yes, she's a trauma surgeon. April's the best," Jo Wilson said. "You two will make a great team."

"You know, it's been pretty quiet today," Dr.Yasuda commented once she'd finished her muffin completely.

"Oh my God, please don't ever say that again," Gracie said, almost half-joking.

"The 'q-word'," Jo gasped, horrified.