The Blessing of Sorrow: chapter 45

“Sorrow is better than laughter; for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.” Ecclesiastes 7:3

When sorrow comes under the power of Divine grace, it works out a manifold ministry in our lives. Sorrow reveals unknown depth in the soul, and unknown capabilities of experience and service. Sorrow makes us go slower and more considerately, and introspect our motives and dispositions. It is sorrow that makes us willing to launch our capacities on a boundless sea of service for God and our fellows.

Every person and every nation must take lessons in God’s school of adversity. We can say, “Blessed is the night, for it reveals the stars.” In the same way we can say, “Blessed is sorrow, for it reveals God’s comfort.” It shows His all-sufficient  strength and grace much better than if we were exempt from pressure and trial. It makes us more conscious of our independence upon Him. God wants to hold us absolutely in His hand and hanging upon His care.                      

This was the place where Jesus Himself stood and where He wants us to stand. Not with self-constituted strength, but with a hand ever leaning upon His, and a trust that dare not take one step alone. It teaches us trust.  There is no way of learning faith except by trial. It is God’s school of faith, and it is far better for us to learn to trust God than to enjoy life. The lesson of faith once learned, is an everlasting acquisition and an eternal fortune made; and without trust even riches will leave us poor. 

- anonymous

Until I learned to trust the Lord,

I never learned to pray;

And never learned to fully trust,

Till sorrow came my way.

Until I felt my weakness,

His strength I never knew,

Nor dreamed, till I was striken,

That He could see me through.

He who drinks deepest sorrow

Drinks seepest too of grace,

God sends the storms so He Himself,

Can be our resting place.

His heart, who seeks our deepest good,

Knows well when things annoy;

We would not yearn for heaven,

If earth held only joy! 

- Anonymous