𝟎𝟎𝟖 . 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘄𝘀

A sphere bottle was tossed into the air; the rose-pink fluid danced around in it, and it was grabbed in his hand again with a satisfied grin. "This better be effective," Leo muttered to himself as he examined the bottle in his hands. As he made his way down the tunnels and the flows of water echoed in the shallow ground, his brothers' voices crashed into the walls with such worry.

This made him lose himself in their voices as he further absorbed their conversation into his mind. When the light touched him as he stepped his feet on to the lair, Raph exclaimed, "Is he ashamed not to show up for us!?" Then, Leo being startled, the sphere slipped out of his hand, and as he kept trying to catch it, it kept dodging from his palms.

The brothers seemed to hear a faint clink of a glass, so they turned around, yet there was no such object that had the same sound. It was only Leo with his hands behind him. "Yeah? Did I miss something?" Leo asked, his plastron heaving.

Raph faced him fully, crossing his arms. "Where have you been, Leo? We were sending you texts!"

"I was in the Hidden City. I only did the mission situation," Leo answered with a shrug of his shoulders, and Raph sighed. "Great that you're here, 'cause Raph believes he has good news for ya."

"Your face said otherwise." Leo narrowed his eyes as his fingers glided under his chin. He was sure it was something scratching their heads off.

Raph frowned, and his browbones were furrowed. "Okay! Seriously, I bet this might be an easy catch for you," he replied, then glanced at Mikey with a nod.

Mikey took a deep breath before looking at his brother directly. "Another problem," he started. "(Y/N)..." he hung the words in the air, and even at the start of mentioning your name, that also made Leo listen attentively.

"She has someone else?" Leo thought as he waited for him to continue. "Wait. That's too far from expectations," he added in these thoughts, observing his gestures. Storms struck in his mind about those, and, well, he hoped that wasn't true.

"...is another target of Foxy," Mikey continued, and Leo's pupils shrank in shock. His thoughts were colliding in his mind, trying to find more details that were missing.

"How did he find her?" Leo asked in a hushed tone. "I'm not sure either, but she had a nightmare and usually receives trouble!" his brother answered.

She was involved in trouble. So, that happened without him being there? He could've protected her, and that was enough to snap his nerves. "Why didn't you keep her away?" Leo abruptly asked without even thinking, and he only realized later on what slipped out of his lips.

Mikey felt his heart drop. He did try his best to keep you there, and yet it couldn't be avoided. His lips were open to speak, but the words were stuck in his throat. "Leo, don't say that," Raph interrupted, taking his turn to speak for him. "Foxy must be out of control."

Leo scoffed. He knew he could do better than that, putting his sentiments aside. "Was Mikey there for her most of the time? We're not sure if she could have power against that Foxy," Leo argued.

"I've been keeping her away from him. I swear, she is safe, and I'll still be there for her-"

"Don't get me started on you making up for it," Leo cut Mikey off. "We already know what happened to you for being careless this time," he emphasized. His emotions were consuming him, and it was making it hard for him to let go. It was now about you here, and he wouldn't let it slip away.

The three brothers seemed out of words at his reply. Raph sighed, disappointment consumed him. "Mikey is already doing well. At least she is safe while it still lasts!" Raph defended him, whereas Mikey felt overwhelmed by his brother's words. What if he was right? Would it be bad to be there for you?

"Nardo, your concern is understood, but Mikey can still secure her as before," Donnie finally added.

Leo huffed, his nose snorting as he averted his gaze. "How about this?" he proposed. "From now on, I'll be the one there for her," he continued, and this made them gasp in shock.

"No, we've decided to focus on April, and Mikey would do that since he's a close friend to her!" Raph argued. "You two barely know each other-"

"Well, it's still not too late to date- be her friend," Leo cut him off. "I mean, I've already used Foxy's weakness, so I can defend her even better this time."

"Leo."

"And that's final. Got it?" Leo blurted, his declaration hanging in the air like an unyielding decree. Silence fell, a palpable tension settling over them all. Leo's voice bore an authority that was unmistakable. "Mind you, I'm the leader now. I know how this would go," he added with a finality that brooked no argument, before he turned his shell away from the others. Their collective disbelief hung heavy in the air, a dense cloud of uncertainty.

Mikey's gaze was downcast, his features etched with a heavy frown, while Raph, with his larger-than-life demeanor, offered a rare moment of tenderness as he gently patted his little brother's shoulders. He, too, sensed that something significant was transpiring concerning Leo, particularly when it came to you.

Leo entered his room, and he put the sphere bottle on his nightstand before he threw himself on the bed. His shell was leaning against his pillow, and an exhausted sigh escaped his lips. The things he said earlier were beginning to become messed-up threads that were supposed to connect his senses. He wasn't sure if he meant to say that to his brother, whom he always loved. However, there was still enough burning under the surface to think you might've been hurt. At least from now on, he would be relieved if he took on the role of protecting you. Be there for you.

A faint spark in his plastron pounded. The thought of being there for you most of the time, hearing your voice replayed in his head, and learning your little gestures more.

A subtle grin curled on his lips, then abruptly snapped out of it as he gave a bonk on his head, and he sat up straight from his bed. He was feeling odd about this all over again, questioning his actions and thoughts.

The effect you had on him.

Then he gazed at the sphere bottle on his nightstand, and perhaps some doubtful thought would someday make sense. "Maybe it would still work," Leo thought, still having his eyes on the colored rose-pink bottle.