4

the rain fell down on the crowd as they cheered loudly for their team. leilani sat seated by lucas, while nora was on the other side of him. they all wore clear plastic poncho's as they focused on the field.

isiah had threw the football across the field to justin who had successfully caught it and made it to the touchdown.

the team cheered as well as leilani, lucas, and nora.

"yes, justin!" she said as loud as she could. lucas laughed at the girl who was trying poorly to project her voice. "you almost had it." leilani laughed at lucas' statement. "well you try." she nudged him. "i wouldn't have to try, cause i'm pretty good at yelling. i do it when i'm about to crash." this made leilani smile. "you're crazy, lucas."

"that ends the first half and your port lawrence titans are up by six!" the announcer said. leilani had been so used to coming to games for justin so she knew that it was time for their fifteen minute break. so the girl stood up which gained nora and lucas' attention. "where are you going?" lucas asked. "to speak to justin before he goes into the locker rooms. wanna go with me?" she asked. lucas nodded. "yeah." and with that, she grabbed the boys arm and made her way down the bleachers. nora smiled at the sight of the two. it was funny seeing leilani pull lucas along.

"justin!" she called for the boy before he could make it into the locker room. he stopped in his tracks, took off his helmet and looked back to the voice who had called for him. justin noticed leilani holding onto lucas. he smirked as he jogged over to them.

"hey you two." he raised his eyebrows. but they were oblivious to what the boy was noticing. "you did great out there! let's hope you don't fumble the rest of the game." leilani teased. "i never fumble. you on the other hand, you fumbled hard with that sign." justin laughed at his own joke, lucas also laughed because he couldn't hold it in. leilani's head whipped to lucas, he tried covering up his laugh with a cough. "that was not funny, justin." lucas said to justin, but the guys sent each other a look.

"well i didn't check the weather and now the poster board is soggy. at least i was showing support." leilani let go of lucas' arm to cross her arms. "yeah well i appreciate it thou—" lucas was cut off by one of his teammates calling him. "come on, man!" justin looked back at the two. "i'll see you two after the game!" he called as he jogged over to the locker room.

"lei, i'll be right back." lucas spoke as his eyes were focused on someone else. leilani had been too in awe to answer.

lei. no one had ever called her lei, she liked it.

what snapped the girl out of her daydream was her phone continuously vibrating in her back pocket. she
grabbed her phone without checking the caller id.

"hello?"

"lani, we made it. we just didn't see you at the spot you always sit at. where are you?" it was her mom. "oh yeah! i'm sorry, i forgot to tell you that i switched spots because i'm sitting with nora and her son, lucas." she explained as she started heading to where she would normally sit.

"i'm sorry, baby. i know we probably scared you into thinking that you were gonna sit alone tonight." naomi apologized. "it's fine. nora and lucas are great company. besides justin and i have been hanging out with lucas for the past two days." leilani explained as she noticed her parents from afar. "oh! i see you guys. here i come."

leilani hung up and jogged over to her parents. "hi!" she smiled and pulled her mom into a into a hug. "i'm so glad you're wearing this poncho because you would've been soaked." naomi's motherly instincts kicked in. leilani pulled away from the hug and hugged her father who had been holding the umbrella. "yeah, nora had some in her car and gave me one. the umbrella gets in the way of the crowd." she informed them then pulled away from the hug with her dad. "were the castillo's able to make it?" leilani had always called justin's parents to see if they could make it to his games. so far for this year, it had been zero games.