The ball

I couldn't believe my luck.

My good mood and excitement immediately washed away as I was staring at the person I hated the most.  I couldn't believe she was here as this wasn't a scene that her and Sebastian would ever be a part of.

They were all about high class parties, but the focus of those events were always to network and to flaunt your wealth and success. I couldn't remember a time when Sebastian took interest in any cause that wouldn't benefit him in the end.

I suddenly felt uneasy realizing that I would probably see him and them together here tonight.

As Jake pulled me towards him I could see a hint of annoyance in his eyes. As quick as it came, it was gone, and I was sure no one else saw it.

I wasn't sure if that annoyance was directed at me or the situation but I was hoping for the latter.

"I'm so glad you made it. You look beautiful" he wrapped his hand around my lower back and smiled down at me. The simple compliment made me blush and I almost forgot what transpired seconds before.

As he held onto my gaze, every person in the room became insignificant and I couldn't remember the last time I felt this way. 

The moment was broken by a very annoying voice which sounded and felt like nails were being pulled down a chalkboard.

"Mila dearest, won't you introduce me to your friend." I pulled my eyes away from Jake and focused on Megan.  I felt rage boiling inside me but realized I would not be able to make a scene like I did in the night club. The environment wouldn't allow for it and I wasn't going to embarrass Jake and make myself a laughing stock in his world.

What was worse, the bitch knew this and took pleasure is seeing me uncomfortable.

"Not really. I don't feel like introducing you would benefit Jake in any way and I care about him way too much to submit him to that kind of torture" I smiled sweetly and held my composure. I was shaking inside but hell if I was going to let this bitch see it, "Jake, can we please get a drink?"

"Of course" ignoring Megans presence completely, he gave the side of my head a quick kiss and began to lead me away.

I felt relief settle over me as we began to make some distance.  I didn't dare to look back and wanted to ensure that her being here wouldn't ruin my night. As long as she kept away, I felt like things would be fine.

We made our way to the bar and were promptly served a couple of drinks.  As I picked up my wine I noticed a smirk on jakes face.

"What?" I asked teasingly.

"You care about me too much eh?" He winked and laughed as I almost spit out my wine.

"That was just a figure of speech. Don't flatter yourself" I poked my elbow into his ribs which made him laugh even more.

I hid my smile behind my wine glass as I took a sip. I was glad that he didn't make a big deal about Megan or ask me further questions.  I wasn't strong enough to talk about it right now, especially if she was in the same room.

He placed his hand back around my waist and led me towards our table.

"So what's tonight about? What exactly is going to happen?" I asked curiously as I sat myself in one of the fancy decorated chairs . I had never attended something like this and wasn't sure what to expect.

"We have dinner, you hear some boring speeches, and then we make our way to the opera theatre to watch the performance" he held onto my hand as he spoke and began tracing circles on my palm.

I felt his voice getting deeper and watched him as he licked his lips. The simple act of him touching my hand was enough to arouse me deeply and felt that it was having some kind of effect on him too.

"Hmmm. And how long does this kind of stuff usually last for?" I tried to keep my voice from breaking as I asked him my question.

"Few hours or so" he picked up my hand and planted soft kisses on my palm and wrist.  I watched him as he did this simple act which I felt was the hottest thing I've ever seen.

I wasn't sure I would be able to last a few hours if he continued to do these kinds of things. I forced my eyes away and noticed that many people were staring at us.

"No one will take any pictures or dare to post anything on line" he answered my thoughts.

"How do you know" he laced his fingers through mine and leaned back into his chair. 

"Because I know everyone who is here tonight and if anyone dares to cross me they would be over for good." He stated matter of factly.

I nodded my head and felt another wave of arousal. I knew he meant what he said and wondered what he could actually do to someone that pissed him off.  I was pulled out of my thoughts as I saw a few people take their seats next to us. 

Jake stood up and shook their hands and I was given a few introductions.  All in all these people seemed nice and I began to loosen up a bit.

The lights in the large room were lowered and I saw a man in his mid fifties take the stage and thank everyone for coming.

He explained the focus of the event and talked about the people they've helped.

I became teary eyed when a few young adults joined him on stage and shared their stories, explaining how the scholarships they received changed their lives. 

I was so happy I came and followed everything that was being said. I couldn't believe I never heard of this charity before and daydreamed on how this could change the lives of some of the kids I taught.

I was so lost in myself and my surroundings that I didn't realize that Jake was called up to speak.

As I finally clued in, he took a quick glance at me and began his speech.