One way ticket

As I sprinted to the bus stop I could feel my heart beating out of my chest. I half expected Sebastian to run after me and try and stop me, but was ecstatic that he didn't.

The bus station was well lit and, despite it being this late, There were quite a few people standing around and waiting.

Sebastian was always concerned with what everyone else thought of him, their public opinion, and how some actions could make him look bad without being able to provide or control the context.

This, being a bright place, with lots of people around with their phones out, was the biggest deterrent from him coming after me which was a great relief.

I stepped inside the main hub and looked around for an open ticket counter with an actual human being and not a machine. I didn't want to use my credit cards until I was absolutely sure I needed to.

I know it sounded stupid, but the knowledge that I was going to leave everyone behind, without them being able find me for a bit, soothed the pain that I was feeling, even though only temporarily.

I snapped out of it when I saw an older lady wave me down and quickly approached her little booth. I began drumming my fingers, nervously, against the metal counter as I waited for her to acknowledge me again.

"What can I help you with?" She pulled her glasses down and offered me a half annoyed look. I was convinced that she figured I no idea what I was doing and therefore held back any of the bitchiness that would have been her usual demeanor.

"Can I get the first ticket out of here, I don't care where I go" I glanced at her nervously as she gave me a once over. My face was puffy from crying and I looked like a complete mess.  For a moment, I was worried she would think I was a fugitive and call the cops.

I was relieved when she transferred her attention from me to the departure board.

"That will be seventy one fifty" she began typing away and ten seconds later was passing me the debit machine.

"Cash please" I pulled out my wallet and gave her the appropriate change. I was about to leave when something popped into my head "Before I head out, could I please ask a favor from you".

That definitely got her attention and she looked back up at me before putting the cash in the till.

"I'm looking to get away after a bad break up. I'm not in any trouble or anything, but if a man comes here looking for me...asking where I went, could you please not tell him anything?" I was hoping I didn't come off sounding like I was paranoid or crazy.

"You look like every other person that comes through here. By the time you leave, I won't even remember how you looked like" she replied flatly and returned her gaze to the computer.  I smiled and couldn't ask for anything more fitting.

Feeling better about the situation, I decided to continue taking precautions and waited for the bus in the bathroom. I still wasn't convinced Sebastian wouldn't return and I was doing everything possible to avoid a scene.

Passing the time, without a phone, though was a whole other problem I haven't dealt with in a long time. I bought a few magazines and felt an overwhelming sense of relief when I saw the bus arrive at its stop.

I passed the driver my luggage and made my way to the back hoping that it wouldn't be too full at this hour.

To my surprise, there were only a handful of people seated when we started moving out. A couple of younger adults that were obviously together, a mother and her young daughter, and a few middle aged men scattered about.

I closed my eyes and hoped that my first destination was going to give me the space and distance that I was craving.

I decided to sleep and prayed that I would dream of anyone else but him.