New Father Woes

Taylor hadn't planned on being a dad in his mid 20's, he was just living his life playing drums living his dreams. However back when he was 19 he had taken this kid under his wing, a young girl named Cheyenne, a quiet girl with blonde hair and hazel eyes who could easily pass as his sister or his kid. When he was home he would take her trick or treating at Halloween or he'd watch over her while her mom was at work. He was the only man the little girl could ever trust so when he mother had been diagnosed with Cancer while she was getting treatments she had asked him if he would become Shy's guardian in case the worst happened. Figuring the worst would never happen he happily agreed, he loved that kid. He still got to live his life, and he would come visit between gigs and tours. The little girl was 6 when he had made the promise to become her guardian, well nobody plans for the worst.

By The time he had turned 25 He realized that shy's mom who had fought for years to stay with her little girl wasn't going to make it and he started having meetings with her and her lawyers to get everything in place, Shy was 12 now and a fantastic drummer in her own right as she was taught by the best. He was on the road when he got the call about it happening he was just new in Foo Fighters and now he had to leave even for a short while, so naturally he had to talk to Dave. The blond caught Dave in their hotel room and sat across from him on the bed "I have a problem" Dave looked up from the acoustic in his hand and gave his friend a supportive smile "What's up T?"  the younger man took a breath "I gotta go back to California for like a week" setting the guitar down Dave looked at him "Family Emergency?" Taylor nodded "You could say that"

Dave groaned he hated when people would beat around the bush "Spit it out T" Taylor looked down and mumbled "I gotta go get my kid" Dave froze blinking you could have knocked him over with a feather from the shock he was feeling in this moment "You have a kid?" The blond nodded "As of yesterday yep" Dave stared at him "I didn't even know you got a chick pregnant" Taylor blinked and shook his head "No no no it's not like that. She's 12" the blond almost laughed watching his friend doing the math in his head "You knocked someone up when you were 13?" that time the blond did giggle "No. It's a girl I used to help take care of from the neighborhood. I've known the family since she was 6. Her mom got sick back when I was 19 and asked if I would be her guardian since I was the only person she trusted aside from her mom" Dave nodded "So it's like an adopted kid thing" Taylor nodded "Yeah. But I'm gonna have to bring her on the road til I can figure out schooling and stuff. Will you be ok with it?" The dark haired man smiled "I'll work something out for the next few spots, go get your kid" Taylor breathed out a sigh of relief he still had his job and he wouldn't have to go back on his promise to Shy's mom.

That night he got on a plane home and within a few hours he was walking into his mother's house. He hugged his parents and looked around "Where is she? I thought she was staying here til I got back" His mom nodded toward the little house across the street "She's been in that garage for hours just banging on the drums" He nodded "I'll go get her. I suppose I have to sign papers and shit?" His Dad looked to him "Taylor are you sure you're able to handle this? I know you love Shy but this is a big responsibility" The drummer looked to his father "I can do this dad. I'm like the only person she trusts, she needs to be with someone that she feels safe with" Terry Hawkins nodded and smiled "Then you do your best to make that little girl feel safe and happy son" nodding Taylor walked out of the house and over to the house he had spent many hours in babysitting the little girl and teaching her drums, he smiled sadly as he walked into the garage he didn't interrupt her flow, he just leaned on the wall and watched as she poured every emotion she was feeling into beating on the drums that he had helped her mother get for her when she was 10. She knew he was there she had seen him come in but she also knew that he wouldn't interrupt her playing, finally she put her sticks down as tears slid down her pink tinged cheeks "You're my dad now right?" He smiled and pushed off the wall to walk towards her "Hey, I'm still Taylor unless you want me to be your dad. I'm Taylor and you're Shy" she finally stood and raced into his arms hugging him tightly as she sobbed "She just wouldn't wake up"

He rubbed her back gently and just held her "Shhh I know. you don't have to talk about it if you're not ready." She looked up at him "You're still in your band right?" He nodded and kissed her forehead "Yeah. We're going to go meet up with the guys after all the legal stuff is done and the y'know" He trailed off as she leaned against him "Funeral. Yeah I get it. But won't I like I dunno cramp your style?" He laughed shaking his head "Nah you're the coolest kid I know" She bit her lip "I'm gonna be safe with your friends?" Taylor smiled "Of course. If I thought it wasn't safe for you I wouldn't take you, But dude your Hero Dave Grohl is the lead singer how cool is that shit?" She giggled "Is he really cool?" He smiled "He is the coolest. Now c'mon let's get you cleaned up and something to eat and drink then you can grab some sleep" The girl nodded and Held onto his hand as he shut off the garage light and closed the door, she frowned "Wait, when we go what about my kit?" He smiled "No worries, We'll figure that out after I deal with the legal shit ok. If need be we can put it in my parent's garage until We're done with the tour" She smiled "so I get to play with your drums on tour?" He nodded "Sure, and I bet if you're interested someone in the band can teach you how to play guitar" She nodded leaning her head against his shoulder "I dunno. I doubt I could pick up guitar I can barely play drums"

Taylor chuckled "Don't start that shit. You play better than I do" She giggled at him knowing that he was just saying it but it felt good either way. She followed him into the parents house where they could settle down for the night. The next day was going to be the challenge, where Taylor actually became her legal guardian.