It's Official

February 17, 2000

Though it was his birthday Taylor was worried, Shy had been distant the past couple of months and he was afraid for her, afraid that she had seen some of his antics and was trying to mirror it, yes he used drugs, yes he drank but he didn't want any of that for the girl who had become his daughter three years ago. Dave had set up a birthday party for Taylor at his house. The drummer made his way over to his friend as he was grilling, Taylor knew that Shy was close to Dave and that the front man might have some answers, Dave smiled and looked to his friend "Hey Birthday Boy!" The blond didn't react at first he just sighed "Do you know what's going on with Shy? She's gotten really distant. Did I do something? have I irreparably embarrassed her and she's never going to talk to me again?" Dave stood by listening to Taylor ramble and then stepped forward and put his hands on his friend's shoulders "T, trust me she doesn't hate you. she loves you. Just trust her" the blond nodded "It's just not like her to keep me in the dark about things" Dave pulled him into a tight hug "She's ok Taylor. If something was wrong I would tell you right?" The blond frowned "I dunno...is it a teenager thing?" Dave chuckled and pulled away from his friend turning him to face the patio door where Shy stood holding a blue gift bag in hand, she was wearing Taylor's Jane's Addiction shirt and a pair of Red Van Halen board shorts.

Clearing her throat she spoke loud enough for everyone to hear her "Alright Fuckers! I got something to say" After everyone including Taylor's laughter faded she smiled at him "Most of you know how Dad and I met, he's been part of my life since I was 6 and then stepped up to take care of me when he didn't have to thanks for that...So for your birthday this year I wanted to give you something special...something with real meaning" She motioned for Taylor to come forward and handed him the bag, He was shaking slightly as Shy spoke again "I hope this gift means as much to you to receive it as it means to me to give it to you" everyone stood still as the drummer took a stack of papers out she continued on "I know you've been feeling like I was pulling away, I'm sorry that I made you feel that way. Dave has been helping me with a special gift for you." She nodded to the papers and smiled "have a look" He looked at the papers in his hand as tears started to fall "You want me to adopt you?" She nodded "You practically already have. You took responsibility for me and I know my mom had put you in a tight spot by asking you to take me when she died" He shook his head "Stop. I would have done it anyway. You didn't belong lost in a system around people you didn't feel safe with. I was happy to step in and become your family" The girl took a breath "So uhh if if you want to officially be my dad then all you gotta do is sign the papers" unable to stop his tears of joy he waved his hand "I need a pen!" Dave chuckled and handed him a pen before looking at the teenager "I told you he'd be happy. And you thought getting him a puppy would make him happy" She giggled as Taylor looked up an almost childlike look in his watery eyes "There's a puppy too!?" Dave shook his head laughing "No dude, I told her that it wasn't a good idea since there's no one at your house on tour" Taylor frowned "We'll get a small dog and bring it on the road" Shy couldn't help but giggle "oh god my dad's a kid"

Everyone chuckled but all were happy to see how elated that Taylor was that he was going to officially be a dad, officially be her dad and nothing could make him happier. Shy was completely over the moon to be officially a family.  A few months down the road the foos had a small show at the Troubadour and naturally Shy was there, she rarely missed any show, sure it was at a bar and she was technically too young but the foos rider for any show was jaeger, beer, whiskey, soda, barbecue and lots of candy for Shy the sugar freak. It was still early and there were some industry people around, Shy had gone into the jam room that was set up backstage and started to play and sing. The song she had chosen to do was 'This is a call', she hadn't noticed that anyone was watching her until she'd finished and looked up seeing her dad, Dave, Pat had come to see the show and there was also some guy she didn't recognize, seeing Pat she jumped up from the kit and raced over to hug him "OH MY GOD PAT! I have missed you so much!" he chuckled and hugged her kissing her forehead "I see you've started to take on Taylor's sense of style...We're going to have to go shopping and fix that" she blushed "I just like to be comfortable." The man she didn't recognize had looked to Taylor and Dave "This kid is a star. I'd like to work with her" Shy stayed back by Pat unsure of what the hell this strange guy was talking about but relaxed slightly when Taylor nodded and spoke "That would be great Jack, but I want her to finish school and be a kid. She's only 15 I don't want her voice to be muted by the industry" The man Taylor spoke to nodded "Well maybe she should make that decision" Taylor looked to her and she frowned "I'm not ready for that stuff. Can my dad call you when I am ready? I've never performed for anyone but the guys before" Jack smiled "fair enough." He gave Taylor his card and made his way out of the room, the girl stared at all of the guys "What the fuck was that?"

Pat smiled and hugged her again "That was your talent being recognized. you're fantastic kid"  glancing at Taylor she shook her head "No way. I'm not nearly as good as you are dad" Taylor smiled "You're pretty fuckin' good. keep working on it if you decide and only if you decide that you want to do music as a career then that guy get called." She smiled and hugged her father "Thanks Dad"