Chapter 5

Having helped the mercenaries who were watching our spar set up camp for me. I gained some new acquaintances, including Aiz, who stuck with me even as I left to gather the equipment I needed to stock my camp.

"Um... Aiz?"

"Yes, Shirou? Is there something that I can do to help? Do you need any extra blanket or anything else?"

I gave the girl a wry smile.

"For now, I guess not, but I'll make sure to tell you if I need something."

When I said that, Aiz beamed a smile at me.

She's really adorable when she smiles like that.

My hand had moved toward her head and gently ruffled her hair before I realized it. She pressed her head against my palm as if she wanted more pats.

"Aww, aren't you two just the cutest~" We turned to face Aria-san, the owner of the voice we recognized.

"Aria-san, good evening."

I removed my hand from Aiz's head, and the girl pouted before turning to her mother.

In that regard, I guess she's similar to Miyu. Miyu, after all, enjoys head pats.

"Is it time for dinner already, mama?" Aiz asked as she took my hand in hers and walked toward Aria-san.

Her mother cooed at how close Aiz was to me. She giggled before patting both of our heads.

I'm not really a child...Aria-san...

But it felt good in some ways. I couldn't remember what it was like to have a mother because I had lost my memory in that disaster, but perhaps if I could, this is how it felt to be patted by a mother.

"Yes, today's dinner will be with everyone else at the center of the camp, I had arranged for them to make this one a feast to welcome Shirou into our family!"

"Really? Yay!" Aiz turned to me with a smile. "Isn't this great—Shirou? Are you hurt somewhere?"

Huh?

Aria-san then turned to face me, her face filled with surprise.

Was there something on my face?

I tried to wipe my face with my hand, but it came into contact with something warm on my cheeks. I wiped them away quickly with my sleeve.

"Shirou, why are you crying?"

Aiz inquired, clearly unaware of the situation; however, Aria-san seemed to know why, but she did not respond to her daughter. Instead, she put her hand on my head and ruffled my hair.

"Shirou, I don't know how much painful things you've gone through...but please remember...now, we are your new family, every one of us is your family, and you are not alone anymore..."

Huh...come to think of it.

This is the third time I'll have a new family. First was when Kiritsugu adopted me, then... after he passed away, I had to act distant to Miyu to fulfill my old man's wish to save the world... but then one day we truly become siblings and we became real family... several months later, she returned, we defeated Ainsworth...and she left again, peacefully this time with her new family.

Is it wrong for me to have a new family in this different world? I guess not...right?

"Yeah, thanks."

I smiled at Aiz's mother and she nodded in satisfaction at me before pulling me and Aiz into a hug.

"Promise me...whatever happens...the two of you will always be there for each other..."