Chapter 5

Adela made no move to speak first. She couldn't dare as the memory of almost dying made its appearance in her mind. Of all the people that could have found her, it just had to be him.

What could she possibly say to get out of this situation? She had been mulling it over in her mind and yet nothing had come forth.

"Are you not going to speak?" He started.

Adela exhaled and slowly turned around to face him. She prayed earnestly to whichever pantheon had a god who watched over desperate liars. She was in severe need of a miracle and an answer for which tone she would use to plan her next response; for Krados' eyes gave away nothing.

She rubbed her wrists, maintaining level eye contact with him. "I didn't kill him."

She glanced over her shoulder at the body. It was either going to be the thing to set her free, or damn her. And as she looked at the ashen body whose blank eyes had just started to sink in, she knew she was damned. And she didn't even add the pool of blood ....

Wait

She turned around fully and looked closer at the body and wondered whether her guess was indeed correct. She crouched down earnestly, exited as she chased the possibility. "I can prove my innocence,"

Her fear was long gone now as she chased down a lead, and according to the priests back in Naia, her common sense went away with the fear as well. But Adela couldn't help it, the possibility of experiencing something new always excited her. And the possibility of seeing a sentient plant was the definition of exciting.

Krados moved to her side but didn't crouch down. Instead he crossed his arms and looked down at her, still very suspicious. "And how are you going to prove your innocence."

Adela pointed at the blood, making sure not to touch it. "That's not blood, if it were it would have dried or at least started coagulating. But it's still free-flowing,"

She sniffed and flinched at the slight ammonia smell that entered her nostrils. Blood didn't smell like urine, and that was all she needed. "The blood doesn't match the decay of the body." She finished.

Adela looked up at Krados who stared straight ahead, out the window at the light. "That plant doesn't grow in Danica."

Or anywhere in Cassiopeia for that matter

But Adela was intrigued and there was only one way to find out. She held out her palm and positioned her dagger above it. "Get ready," She whispered.

And then she pricked her finger over the blood. She watched as the blood dropped down in the pool and then almost instantly the man's arm burst open and vines darted out. Adela slashed at the red monastery that moved straight towards her, careful not to let the suckers at the tips touch her.

She readied herself for the next attack before the vines fell limply to the ground completely dried up. Adela stood up and backed away, satisfied that her point had been proven.

There was still another stage to the attack. And Adela thought that all the months of reading and years gruesome sights as a healer would prepare her for the complete destruction of the man's body. Branches erupted from his skin and beautiful bell-shaped flowers formed at the tips, unfurling and facing straight at Adela.

The news for the tabloids, it most certainly didn't as she struggled to keep herself from shivering. A new smell filled the room and its powerful toxin immediately went to her brain. Now it wasn't the coachman lying on the ground, it was her father bleeding out and screaming.

Every muscle in her body ached to move forward. He was still alive. He was right there in front of her, how could she leave him to die? There was still a chance. She could still redeem herself.

He's dead

And the image crumbled along with her heart. It was painful, how ruthless the brain had to be to save the heart. The petals gleamed against the sun, revealing the eye mosaic on its interior, staring directly as it softened, almost like it was pitying.

Death's Whisper. Rare, invasive, and very much banned throughout the whole continent. The plant only grew in Hesper and traders coming back from sea were stripped naked to inspect for any seeds.

"I'm sorry for attacking you,"

Adela scrunched her face and looked at him standing to the left, his face half consumed by shadows and his hands clutching his sword. Adela had almost forgotten about his presence.

I wonder what the gas did to him?

Adela shook her head. "Don't worry. I got the job partly because of you."

And now I can get peace

She started for the door but Krados stopped her, asking her to wait. Her senses were scrambled and about as sensible as that of a starfish.

"You cannot tell anyone about this," He said.

Adela sighed and looked up to give a rebuttal. She knew crimes were rare in Danica but surely they couldn't be that rare. But when she saw the cold seriousness in his eyes she clamped her mouth shut.

"I'm begging you," He pleaded and stepped forward.

Krados stopped a few inches away from her, confusion etched on his face. "You're crying,"

Adela blinked in confusion. Why would she be crying? She traced her face feeling the wet patches.

"Something must have gotten into my eyes." She mumbled,

There was nothing in her eyes really, but it was the only probable explanation for the tears. She wiped her face quickly and looked at the body. The red dye that the plant emitted was gone now, leaving only the urine. The body was shriveling fast as the plant drew blood from it to sustain its life.

"He's been dead for at least two hours. His skin is purple and his eyes are sunken completely," She waved her hand towards him weakly, trying to keep the bile down. "You can touch him and check for rigor mortis."

And with that she exited the room, trotting slowly downstairs. She couldn't afford to rest. She needed to investigate, to ask questions, to finally be worth something.

How did the seeds get to Danica? What did they want with her? Who were they? Who killed the coachman? There were several unanswered questions she needed to attend to. And she couldn't afford to stop. She needed to keep running, to try and escape the phantoms that were plaguing her mind. The problem was, she didn't know where she was running to.

AN

Enjoyyyyyy. I'll do a fun fact about the flower later. I'm just too lazy right now.