Chapter 12 : 𝙼𝚢 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝙲𝚑𝚎𝚏

«𑁍»

Two years. 730 days trapped in Sword Art Online. The initial terror had morphed into a begrudging acceptance. Aincrad had become a twisted reality, a world where fear had been replaced by a routine of survival and a desperate hope for a future beyond the death game.

Evaya strolled through the bustling marketplace of Algade, the 50th floor. The once-novel experience of a virtual world had become commonplace. Yet, a shadow clung to her – Kuradeel, a supposed bodyguard gifted by her father, Guild Master Heathcliff, of the Knights of Blood Oath. A gift that felt more like a thinly veiled threat.

Kuradeel, a notorious member of the sinister Laughing Coffin guild, was a predator hiding amongst the supposed protectors. Only Evaya knew the truth, a secret that gnawed at her. She had argued, pleaded with both her father and Diabel, Guild Master of the Order of Sacred Hope, about the unnecessary bodyguard. But with the guilds ever-expanding, a buddy system had been implemented to ensure the safety of high-ranking members, especially those crucial to boss raids. Evaya, unfortunately, fell under that category.

Sighing, she pushed the unpleasantness aside. Today, her destination was Agil's shop. A place that offered a semblance of normalcy, a refuge from the ever-present threat of the game. As she approached, she spotted a familiar black-clad figure leaning against the counter. It was Kirito, his back turned, seemingly lost in thought.

A mischievous glint sparked in Evaya's eyes. She crept up silently, a playful grin spreading across her face. With a flourish, she covered his eyes. "Guess who it is," she chirped, her voice laced with amusement.

Kirito, ever the gamer, chuckled. He knew better than to fall for such a simple trick. "Let me see," he mused, feigning deep concentration. "Is it… Jisei?"

"Try again?" She giggled.

"Asuna, is that you?!" He gasped.

Evaya scoffed, a playful pout forming on her lips. "Come on, Kirito, be serious!"

"I'm just joking, I know it's you Evaya." He teased as her turned around and held her hands in his.

The unexpected contact sent a jolt through Evaya. A low growl echoed from behind her. It was Kuradeel, his gaze burning with a possessive glint. His obvious displeasure at the innocent contact between Evaya and Kirito sent a shiver down her spine. Kirito, sensing the tension, quickly retracted his hands and he went over to greet Fafnir who barked gleefully at the attention and pats on the head.

"What brings you to a dive like this Evaya?" He asked.

"I was kinda bored and since everyone is getting ready for the next boss raid, I thought I'd see you." She smiled.

"O-Oh..." He blushed.

"Anyways, I heard you muttering about a chef. What's that about?" She asked.

"Oh right. What's your current cooking skill?" He asked.

She smirks at the question as months of hard work and labor and meeting up with Asuna on their free time allows her to express the fruits of her labor with pride. "I'm all maxed out." She huffed as Kirito and Agil looked shocked. "I know, I'm amazing!"

"If you're that good, I have a favor to ask you." Kirito looked serious which tickled her curiousity as he showed her his loot.

"Oh you've got yourself a Ragout Rabbit! Yeah those things are great. I've practically got an entire recipe book on these." She hummed.

"Hang on a minute you had this before?!" Agil gasped.

"Yeah, I owe it all to Fafnir. He knows all the best hunting spots." She praised as she gave Fafnir a good ruffle on the head and he barked in pride.