2. Their First Meeting

He thought it was sweet how after she debuted her stage name was Winter, and the fact that they first met was during winter 2016.

It was early in the evening, and the hallway where there were rows of practice rooms were deserted.

He was really exhausted with the preparation of their Limitless EP and performances, and he wished he's already in bed at the dorm by then.

But he and the other members had decided they would practice until midnight, and it was still 7 hours away.

Taeyong Hyung said the managers were ordering some fried chicken and gimbap, and he was utterly glad for it. But if he didn't drink coffee that minute, he wouldn't be able to stay awake, let alone dance until midnight.

There was a little girl standing in front of the vending machine, and he prayed she would leave soon, because he was really not in the mood to socialize with kids.

But she was checking her phone, and he needed that coffee, Goddammit.

He stood behind her and she noticed the shadow beside her. She looked back, then gasped.

He was on the verge of apologizing when she bowed so low and too fast, spilling the hot coffee from the plastic cup onto her hand, making her cry out in pain.

In reflex, he caught the cup before it caused more damage and held it steady.

"Whoa, there, be careful!"

When the little girl's hand touched his, she seemed to think it was a cue to bow again, even lower this time.

"Joesonghamnida, Sunbaenim, jeongmal joesonghamnida! I was careless!"

He froze for a moment. Ah, she had to be a new trainee.

"You're the one who got hurt. Why are you apologizing to me? Stop bowing. I'm fine. You're not."

She stood up straight, hiding her injured hand behind her back. "I'll help you get your coffee, Sunbaenim."

Seniority was important, but the girl was too much.

"Never mind that, put that hand under running water. It'll feel better. Let's go, I'll walk you to the restroom."

"Aniyo, Sunbaenim, there's no need. I thank–"

And she bowed, again.

"Stop," he said. "Stop bowing. Let's go, I'll take you to the restroom, then I'll give you the first aid kit."

"I don't want to trouble you further, please, I–"

"If you don't listen, I'll be angry," he said in his sternest voice.

The girl suddenly nodded, and became very quiet.

He walked her to the restroom, and waited outside.

"Does it feel better?" he asked after she reappeared.

She nodded.

"Good. Now, I'll show you the first aid kit."

It was in the middle of the hallway, at the empty reception desk. So many injuries could happen during a dance practice, so there was the kit and medicine there.

There's a salve for burns and he gave it to her.

She bowed deeply again, receiving the salve with her two hands.

He honestly wanted to laugh. He was 19, but she treated him like he was an SM Director.

Once she finished with it, NCT 127's manager came out to get the food delivery at the lobby downstairs.

"Let's go, dinner time. Your Hyung gave you guys a half an hour break."

"That's long," he commented in awe.

His manager went to the lobby, as Jaehyun's gaze returned to the girl.

In a super polite manner, she pointed to the hallway, "Sunbaenim, please enjoy your dinner. I'm going to grab my things and wait for Appa."

"Do you need help carrying your stuff?"

She half bowed again as she moved her hands in a definite "no."

"I'm fine, Sunbaenim."

"New trainee?"

"Ne. I started in September."

"Ah. You've been here for three months."

"Ne."

"I'm Jung Yun Oh. But my stage name is Jaehyun."

She blinked. "I saw Sunbaenimdeul on TV and YouTube."

"Right."

"Congratulations on debuting, Sunbaenim."

He was really touched, somehow. He thought debuting would feel so great. Though he was so grateful, he worked so much harder than before. There were days when he felt he needed time to even take a deep breath.

It was a particularly hard day, and the junior's words came at the right time. She made him remember when he just started as a trainee.

"Thank you, I hope you get to debut as well."

"Manhi gamsahamnida."

You guessed it. She bowed. Again.

A laughter threatened to burst out of him, but he swallowed it.

"You know, I'm not a grandpa yet. You bowed too much."

She opened her mouth and he stopped her. "Don't apologize again. There's no need. What's your name?"

"Kim Min Jeong imnida."

Her phone buzzed then.

She checked it and saw that it was her father.

"It's Appa."

"Ahrasseo. I'll see you around. Good luck!"

She bowed again, of course.

When Jaehyun reentered the practice room, he was smiling widely.

"What, did you eat already?" Doyoung asked, suspicious.

He chuckled. "Aniya."

"Did something good happen?"

"Maybe," he replied, smiling, just when their manager entered with boxes of food.

************************

He was the nicest, and the most handsome guy she had ever met. Although he only debuted eight months ago, he was already a superstar for her.

It was a memorable first meeting. One that she still remembered perfectly even years later.

*************************

Author's Note: 

Thank you for reading this story. 

Please drop me a comment if you like this. 

Twitter: moondongeun142