Part 1

Warnings: 18+ no minors please. Swearing, explicit sexual references (full-on smut will be in part 2).

For the second time in the space of a few short months, Professor Felicity March found herself on a bus to Top Gun

This time, she wasn't running away from her students, she was accompanied by them. Her Faculty Leader had organised the trip, quoting some tenuous bullshit about 'demonstrating the application of mathematics in Naval Aviation'. But, in reality, it just was an excuse for the University to keep up appearances and ensure the Navy kept providing academic sponsorship funding. Nevertheless, Flick welcomed the respite from lectures. She just wished she hadn't been left off the email chain. She only found out about the trip when she arrived in the staff room that morning. By the time she had been able to text Jake to warn him of her arrival, his phone was already discarded in his locker for the day.

She was nervous. Her relationship with Jake wasn't exactly public knowledge just yet. There had been no big reveal, no Facebook status update or grand unveiling at the Hard Deck. The clues were there, for whoever might be looking, but Flick wasn't sure how much gossip would have been shared among the aviators, especially since the team had spent the last month apart on leave after their mission.

Flick weighed up the variables. Phoenix knew that she and Jake had chemistry. Bradley knew that Flick had searched for Jake in a time of need. Maverick had seen them sharing breakfast. Javy knew that they had spent the last four weeks on the road together and that Flick had met Jake's family in Texas. But nobody knew it all, and Flick wasn't sure that ambushing Jake at work unannounced was the best way for them to find out.

The morning at Top Gun began with a quick tour of the facilities given by some administration staff. Then, Flick and her students were bundled into a vacant classroom with the promise of a presentation from "two of America's finest aviators, fresh off the back of a historic mission."

Flick's heart strained, pulled in the polarising directions of wanting to see the man she adored and desperately hoping to avoid embarrassing him in front of his colleagues and her students.

"Please welcome Lieutenant Commanders Natasha 'Phoenix' Trace and Robert 'Bob' Floyd."

Flick allowed herself to exhale. She was off the hook. For now.

 For now