Important

He stayed quiet, reserved, walking close behind the King of Clubs with his head down. He could feel the eyes on him, feel their anger and growing resentment... but none of it was for him. For him, they were sorry and proud; they'd fight if he uttered the word.

His first public appearance since the attack and he didn't feel he was ready for it. The first speaker asked how he was and he couldn't answer. Everyones' concern seemed to be him and he couldn't bear it, couldn't handle the feeling of being wanted so unconditionally.

It wasn't even because he kept them alive - he could die and nothing would change, because the King of Hearts was in the country.

But he couldn't die, could he? It wouldn't be that simple.

Despite his self-unimportance, he was important to them, to the stability. He kept them safe, calm and informed, so that the King of Hearts could return and they would be able to take back their homes, successfully.

They loved him for his sacrifice, forced upon him by the King of Clubs, and for his dedication to them, even if it almost cost his life. They cared for him because of that.

It hurt his heart, so much so, he began to cry on his throne.

A servant bundled him in his cloak and took him aside as the guards ran the people from the Hall. The White King didn't recognise the Jester as he cried, didn't register his soft, soothing words. He just slowly wore himself out and fell asleep in his arms.

"Your Broken Heart is fragile, my Prince... don't let it harden and fix. You are perfect like this."

The White King didn't know who had carried him to bed, so he thanked each person he came across. His heart ached, his head fuzzy, but a feeling of worth had come to him, fuelling his determination once more.

He would defy the King of Clubs once more, and after recovering, he would do it again and again, until he was dead. He wouldn't be convinced otherwise, and even his dark thoughts were in favour of this way.

The White King would fight the Club King.