Chapter 16

The rumbling engine of the Warthog abruptly cut off with a turn of its key. Lee, Kuzo, Klace, and Lance climbed out of the humble vehicle, taking in the sorry sight of the base they had arrived upon. Forward Operating Base Theta was a beaten and limping outpost. A few sparse tents flapped in the mild breeze, their tattered fabrics looked as if they could fly off at a moment's notice. There were a few shacks constructed, but Lee observed the large holes blasted through their ceilings. The most unignorable details were the bodies that lined the ground. Some were covered up, some weren't. Some lacked certain limbs, others were so burned that their faces couldn't be recognized. The more able-bodied survivors threw more bodies to the ground, some attempting to hold miniature funeral-like services. Many more were injured, laid against rocks and crates, their solemn faces wrapped in blood-soaked bandages.

"What the hell happened here?" asked Lance.

"Covenant ambush. A few hours ago," muttered a female officer, her left eye covered with thick padding, "Caught us completely off guard, bombers swooped in and destroyed all of our artillery. They didn't even have to send in a single infantry unit: we were defeated in seconds."

Lee shook his head in disappointment and frustration. "We need to get a message out to Captain Taylor. Do your long-range comms still work?"

The officer grimly nodded. "It's one of the few things left that still does. Follow me."

Kuzo tapped Lee's shoulder. "You go ahead. We'll look around and see if we can help anywhere." Lee nodded in agreement. As he followed the officer, he looked around the smoldering, smoking outpost. Soldiers woke each other up and pointed at him, looking in awe. However, some held a deathly stare at him, angry sneers at his mere presence.

"I called the Admiral earlier. Asked for assistance evacuating the injured and maybe even a full retreat," the officer mentioned.

"And?"

"Nothing."

Lee frowned even more. "I'll try and reiterate the message."

The officer pressed her lips into a half smile. "Thank you." They arrived in front of one of the tents, the small long-range communication array visible through the curtain. "There it is. Have at it. If you need anything, ask for Sergeant Miller. That's me."

"Understood," Lee responded with a hint of sympathy. "Thank you."

***

Lance reflexively caught a rock going for his head. He looked toward its thrower, eyeing a marine limping on a makeshift crutch, his friends nearby, frantically trying to get him to sit down.

"Where the hell were you?!" the marine shouted, "We were out here getting killed like dogs! Where the hell were you?"

Lance grimaced under his helmet as he absorbed the beratement. He looked around and saw plenty more animosity towards him and his squadmates, with marines and ODSTs spitting on the floor as they walked by.