Chapter 18

It was night on the ring. The starry night sky was open for all to see. On the ground, at a different base, more fortunate marines were laughing together and eating warm meals in the cool weather. A small fire crackled in the center of the camp. Sat around it were all the members of Fireteam Omega, independently doing activities. Evans sat cross-legged on the ground finicking with an old comm radio, soldering wires. He was scrutinizing it through the lenses on his helmet, lowered over his visor. The sparks flew over Jakub, who was sitting over a physical paperback book on a crate. He looked at Evans in annoyance and scooted away, delving further into his novel. The women were largely disinterested in whatever the boys were doing. They were facing off in a digital game of chess using a tablet they acquired from an unfortunate marine, using a broken wheel as a table and logs as chairs. Emily grinned as she moved her knight closer to Carly's king. "Boom. Check." Carly rolled her tongue around the roof of her mouth and tapped her rook. She dragged it over to Emily's knight, destroying it. She crossed her arms and looked at Emily. 

"Checkmate."

"What?" Emily muttered incredulously. She examined the board and her head fell. "Oh, goddamn it," Emily whined, throwing her arms in the air. "No fair. You always win."

"Yeah? Maybe you should get better," Carly remarked. Emily tapped on the tablet and reset the match, sliding it over to Carly. 

"Again."

Carly waved her off, "I'm tired. Maybe later." Emily pouted, grabbed the tablet and her helmet, and walked off to get something to eat. She almost bumped into Chase, returning from a call with the Admiral. He had an ear-to-ear grin on his face and two cups in his hands. 

"Damn, how many games did you win?"

"Eh," Carly wiggled her hand, "like three?"

"You ever think about going easy on her at least once?"

She scoffed. "I have. But she wouldn't count it if she won." Chase laughed and joined her on the log, passing her a cup. She sniffed it and reared back slightly, slightly overwhelmed at the scent of straight black coffee. She took a sip and nodded her head. "Tastes better than I thought it would."

"You don't think I can make good coffee?"

"I'd be amazed if you can make anything good. Especially with navy grounds. Besides, this is black. You didn't make squat." The two chuckled and bumped cups, simultaneously taking another sip. Jakub groaned and turned his back to them. Chase stood up and approached him, arms spread. 

"What's the matter, Jakub? Don't like me and Carly talking by the fire together?"

"Yes," he replied, not even looking away from his book. "You two sound ridiculous."

"Uh huh," Chase smirked. He dashed closer and snatched away the book, lifting it closer to the fire to read the title. "War of the Worlds? On paper, too? Damn man, where are you getting these books?"

"None of your business. Now give it." Jakub reached for the book, but Chase turned his hand away.