Chapter 2: The Long Hull

Mia's POV

The annoying monotone beep of my table side alarm clock awoke me in a panic.

Today was an ordinary day, but when you've had a hard time trying to fall asleep it felt like this was my first time on the morning shift. I heaved myself off of my queen size bed, and flipped over the covers. I sighed as I looked at my reflection in my full length mirror.

Why can't I wake up like the girls in the movies?

With their hair all perfect and they're refreshed looking skin. But instead, my hair is all askew and my skin is all blotchy and reddened.

I turned my attention away from my hideous reflection and paid more attention towards my clothing.

I hated the way I had to dress for work. It was always plain and boring. Black pants, white shirt and dull flats or sneakers.

I despised looking this way, I felt drained and flat. I wish work wasn't so dreadful! It's not like it's a professional restaurants, it's just a little juice bar that's set in the middle of our courtyard at the University.

But it was the only job that would work around my school schedule. It payed minimum wage, but it was better than nothing!

I strode into my bathroom readying myself for the long lunch hour line.

I brushed on a light layer of foundation and added a touch of mascara.

I don't like to over indulge in face makeup because it feels heavy on my skin, and looks un natural. I like looking and feeling light!

After brushing in a few more touches I moved on to my hair. Luckily, we don't have to wear a hair net. I brushed through my hair and left it naturally wavy. Pulling back a few front pieces to braid and pin in place. I looked in the mirror and headed towards my wardrobe.

I pulled out a dark wash jean with a few acid rips. Eyeing up a cute floral top, I fetched it off the hanger and pulled it over my head. Yanking up the jeans I took a glance in the mirror.

I know it wasn't the typical outfit, but I thought I would change it up a little!

I strolled out of my quaint apartment and hopped into my car. The campus was only ten minutes away so I would make good time getting there.

I swiped my student card into the machine, allowing me a full day of parking.

I strutted towards the small juice bar ahead, and pulled out the sheds key. I squeezed the small cut of brass into the lock and jerked my wrist to the left. Hearing the small click of the lock I pushed open the wooden door, and snapped the light on.

Pulling up the service window cover, I refilled the empty canister with new straws. And that was it. I just had to wait for costumers, and the lunch rush doesn't start for another twenty minutes...

This is how I spend most of my days, bored out of my mind!

Ten minutes had passed, and I've seen a few students walk from the common rooms. In this university it isn't hard at all to skip, or simply not show up. They don't tend to call if you're not there. Simply because they could care less!

If you're there, you're there. No beating around the bush, or constant waiting.

The ten minutes is almost up, and I can hear the slamming of classroom doors and scuffles of feet.

I brushed down the front of my top making myself somewhat presentable and wiped the counter for the one hundredth time... Cleaning has been the only thing to keep me occupied while I stand here all by my lonesome.