Chapter Fifty-Five

The 🐐's ^^^
Thank you for 130K

⭐️

The light at the end of the tunnel towards the semi-final was beginning to enter their sights, as Spain set foot on to the pitch to battle against a strong competitor known as Netherlands, for their place in the semi-final.

Veronica was behind Alexia as the pair marched out together, both women sporting serious expressions to match their daunting personas on the pitch.

The crowd sparked out into applause upon seeing the Real Madrid captain, following the events from the passing days including her argument with their head coach, Jorge Vilda.

Veronica smiled softly at the shouts of encouragement, endeared by the supporter's love shown through their actions—even in a completely new part of the world.

And as the national anthem played, the brunette felt tears sting at her eyes as they searched across the sea of supporters that were stood along with the anthem, as well as displaying their undying loyalties.

And after the teams had exchanged hand shakes to respect one another, wishing each other luck for the match to come—Veronica had found herself positioned in front of Jenni, while her girlfriend was stood with the referees.

"The cameras are watching," The striker smirked as she watched the brunette's reaction to her comment, chuckling when Veronica suddenly looked startled and tore her gaze away from Alexia.

"S...So?" Veronica stumbled knowing that she had been caught, rubbing the nape of her neck as a nervous habit of hers—making Jenni smile softly at the woman's innocent gesture.

"The eyes don't lie..." Jenni outstretched her hand and squeezed the brunette's cheek teasingly, receiving a playful slap from the woman.

"I... I wasn't." Veronica was unsure as to why she was denying the claim, feeling the heat climb up her cheeks as they blazed red under the watchful eyes of the striker.

Yet, one unconvinced look from the Hermoso athlete caused Veronica to break out in to a smile, "Everyone is speculating about the two of us already."

"Sí... La Reina can't keep her hands off of you." Jenni teased as a slap was given to her shoulder and the striker knew it was time to walk away then, joining the other women for light passing before the match.

The Pachuca athlete was implying towards the footage that had been released of their head coach, and despite all of its seriousness, fans and media couldn't help but take notice to how Alexia came to Veronica's aid.

The world still knew the pair for being rivals, despite the pictures of their kiss circulating almost the year before, and were convinced that the two hated each other.

To them, Veronica was still in Alexia's shadow—yet, the brunette had grown to love the friendly competition between her girlfriend and her—no longer envying the captain.

The fans had taken notice of how the captain was particularly attentive to the woman's bruise, and kissing her wrist—causing the world to set aflame in both confusion and excitement.

"You okay, Bonita?" Only one person could cause Veronica's eyes to dilate at the sound of their voice, as her chin upturned and smiled at the sight of the captain stood before her with her arms on her waist, "What is it?"

"I'm... I'm good," Veronica reassured before seeing the armband in Alexia's palm, "Why aren't you wearing it?"

"I... I hate wearing it in front of you," The pink-haired athlete confessed, suddenly becoming shy under her girlfriend's intense gaze—looking down at the captain band in her hand, shamed at the sight of it.