Chapter Five: 🎶 Clarity 🎶

"I am in love with the impossibility of us"
~ Lauren Eden

***
GREGGY's POV:

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

I can't breathe! FUCK!!! Shit!
Nobody tried reaching out to me to let me know what's waiting for me? Shit!

And Irene.. oh God! Yung asawa ko!

'Hon..'
"Charo.. please lang.."
'Greggy.. it's been what? Eight months? Almost.. right? Nakabalik ka na pala, why didn't you call me? Kung hindi pa nag reach out ang Mama mo, hindi ko malalaman na nandito ka na.'

She reached out to her???

"Ma!"
'Gregorio... calm down. Pumasok na kayong dalawa sa dining room, sige na. Charo's family is also waiting for you. Pag usapan na natin ang kasal nyo, okay? And Irene? I'll take it from here. Kailangan nila Wella ng kasama. Dinner's about to start, pa refill na lang muna ng drinks.'

I can only watch as Irene disappears from the room. This can't be!

FUCK!

'Honey..'
"Can you please leave us alone? I need to talk to my mother, please?"
'Sige, bilisan mo ha?'

I know that she's not at fault here, but damn! I am irritated by her presence!

'Gregorio, pwede ba anak na-'
"What do you want?"
'What's best for you. I want what's best for my son.'
"And that's Charo?"
'Maybe not. But she's a hell lot better than Irene! Anong akala mo? Hindi ko alam? Katulong, Greggy? Really?'

"You said I'm not supposed to call them maids."
'Yes! But you're also not supposed to make one of them your wife! Ayoko, Greggy! Kung gusto mo talaga, fine! Pero hintayin mo muna na mamatay ako bago mo gawin yang gusto mo. Now, you will sit by that dinner table as we make plans for your wedding. You were so adamant three years ago, what's changed?'

"Irene. That's what's changed. Three years ago, wala si Irene sa buhay ko."

And now? I am at the brink of losing her!

'Anak.. thrill lang yan, adrenaline rush. Once it's over, you will realize that all of this? Mistakes lang sila.'

I refuse to listen to my mother any longer!

"Ma? Just one thing, please."
'Will you be sitting with us kung ibibigay ko sayo yan?'
"Yes."
'Go ahead, then.'

I don't want to do this, Baby. But I have to, not for me.. but for you.

"Take Irene out of the dinning room. Ibalik mo lang sa kitchen o kahit saan. Basta yung malayo sakin."
'Why?'
"I've hurt her enough. You've hurt her enough. Tama na, Ma. It will kill her spirit to just stand there and listen while everyone else is talking about.. the wedding."

'You mean, your wedding?'
"Whatever! Just please.. Ma. Please, I am begging you.. please. Wag mo naman saktan si Irene."

'You never asked for favor, ever. You never asked for anything.. you will always do as you wish and as you please. And I am sure that you never beg, not even with your father. Ngayon lang.'
"And I will do it over and over again if that will make Irene feel better. So please, Ma.. make her stay away from me."

'Do you love her?'
"I do. With all my heart. Mahal ko si Irene."

My mother looks at me straight in my eyes before leaving me alone. I don't care what she thinks of me, because right now? My only concern is Irene.

When I enter the dinning room, Irene is nowhere to be found.

This is the first time since I first met her eight months ago that her absence is bringing me peace.